3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2012 2:49 PM by BenjaminMarkus

AE Silently Error upon import of JPG without an embeded ICC profile.

Lazlo Hollyfeld Level 1

Hi There,

I came upon a situation during an import of a JPG into AE CS5, where the JPG would simply not import.  No error message was displayed either.  The JPG looked fine in Quickview and Preview on OSX.  However, when I opened it up in Photoshop, I received the following message:

Screen Shot 2012-12-06 at 9.31.44 AM.png

That's understandable, so when I click "Continue" I can see the JPG image just fine in Photoshop.  However, the file refuses to import into AE.  So, while I can always resave the JPG image from Photoshop as a new type of image file (say PSD) and then import it into AE, I'm curious to know if there is some way to avoid having to do that.  Is there a special switch in AE's prefs that will allow the JPG to be imported regardless?  Was this issue addressed in 5.5 or 6?

Thanks for your time and help!

• 1. Re: AE Silently Error upon import of JPG without an embeded ICC profile.
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Actually the PS error message is spot on: The profile is invalid, probably because some not so smart person assigned a monitor profile. Such files would wreak havok in any professional app. Of course AE should trigger a warning, but thgat's really the only issue I see here. For al lintents and purposes what would anyone do with a file that has been mistreated so badly without converting it first?

Mylenium

• 2. Re: AE Silently Error upon import of JPG without an embeded ICC profile.
            Lazlo Hollyfeld Level 1

because some not so smart person assigned a monitor profile.

Now Mylenium, let's give this person the benefit of the doubt.  They may just be inexperienced as opposed to "not so smart".

Such files would wreak havok in any professional app.

"Wreak Havok"?  AE did not wreak havok, in fact, in wreaked nothing.

what would anyone do with a file that has been mistreated so badly without converting it first?

AE is a powerful app with scripting capabilities, as you are aware.  In some cases scripts bring in raw footage items to be applied to some type of operation within AE.  The details of the raw footage items are many times unknown by the author of the script.  Of course, in an ideal world, Mylenium, a human would go through the arduous task of converting the file just so that AE can import it automatically, but not a computer running a script.  Just thought it would be useful for AE to throw an error in the event that it couldn't do something it should--and yes, that is the only issue here.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

• 3. Re: AE Silently Error upon import of JPG without an embeded ICC profile.
              BenjaminMarkus Level 4

After Effects likes plain RGB .jpg files and I have seen CS6 give the following error message when it doesn't like the type of .jpg you're trying to import:

Color_Profile_Error.png

However, if you would like to see more detailed messages in future versions of After Effects, you can file a feature request here: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish . More on how to give feedback: http://bit.ly/93d6NF