My Firefox 17.0.1 user agent shows as:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.0; WOW64; rv:17.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/17.0
I expected the user agent to look like this without question:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.0; WOW64; rv:17.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/17.0.1
I also don't know at this time if the 17.0.1 ESR exhibits the same behavior. I don't at the moment have a machine at my disposal to test with and there is not yet a portable version of the 17.x ESR to make testing easier.
If anyone knows of a way to block specifically FF 17.0 please let me know. At the moment the only solution I can think of is replacement of FCKeditor with CKEditor, but that will take a bit of doing to convert since its not a drop in replacement.
I decided to take a close look at differences within the user agent string so that successful prevention of users posting with Firefox 17.0 can be conducted from the server.
Here is a comparison of Firefox 17.0 and 17.0.1 user agent string.
I ended up using this to parse the UA string and take action:
Message was edited by: D@yzW0rk Added script to take corrective action. Meant for use with Extended Support Release environments. Note the URL leads to the 10.x ESR not the next 17.x release branch.