7 Replies Latest reply: Dec 18, 2012 3:41 PM by bellevuefineart RSS

Why is Photoshop CS6 extremely slow with the brush tool using Wacom pen?

good dog

Could my wacom tablet be the issue?  The psd processor spins not stop until I pick up the wacom mouse and click on an adjacent layer then back to the layer I was working on.  Then the wacom pen  work with the brush tool.  This seems to happen when every time I  pick up the pen and go back to the brush  tool.

• 1. Re: Why is Photoshop CS6 extremely slow with the brush tool using Wacom pen?
          JJMack CommunityMVP

good dog wrote:

Could my wacom tablet be the issue?  The psd processor spins not stop until I pick up the wacom mouse and click on an adjacent layer then back to the layer I was working on.  Then the wacom pen  work with the brush tool.  This seems to happen when every time I  pick up the pen and go back to the brush  tool.

First I don't understand what you have written. What do you mean by "The psd processor spins" ?

Let start easy.  Open a new default size document  7" x 5" 72DPI.  Select the paint brush tool and set the brush size 25px 100% hardness.  Then use the Wacom pen on the background how does this work?

• 2. Re: Why is Photoshop CS6 extremely slow with the brush tool using Wacom pen?
            good dog Community Member

First, sorry it took so long to reply.  Have been a bit swamped.  What I mean by the psd processor, is the balls that rotate kind of like the SBDO when the app is executing a paint stroke.  So I tried your suggestion, mad a new file 7w x 5d at 72pi, set the brush to 25px at 100% hardness and made a stroke with the wacom pen.  It worked fine.  The issue is working in large files say around letter size at 300dpi or large format graphics for trade shows at 150dpi.  These files can range anywhere from 6ft x 8ft high  to 16ft w x 10 ft h for an example.  So painting in a channel mask or retouching using the brush tool in airbrush mode is painfully slow.  I've found that while this little psd icon is spinning, if I take the wacom mouse, click on an adjacent layer then go back to the layer I was working on and resume with the airbrush, the problem subsides.  It seems this spinning thing happens when I initially start using the brush on a layer or layer mask.  Do you get what I'm trying to explain?

• 3. Re: Why is Photoshop CS6 extremely slow with the brush tool using Wacom pen?
              Curt Y Community Member

Using dpi means little for PS as it is a printing spec. (dots per inch).  What you really need to state is the pixel size of the image (height and width in pixels).  You will find this in Image/image size.

The next piece of information needed to offer advice is your OS and RAM.  If you are trying to edit huge files with 4 gig or RAM it just is not going to work smoothly.

• 4. Re: Why is Photoshop CS6 extremely slow with the brush tool using Wacom pen?

Ok, I have a MacPro workstation - 10.6.8 - 16Gb ram, 2 - 2.93  Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon processors, twin Tb hardrives using SoftRaid.   Files I seem to be having trouble with with the airbrush are 2400px X 3300 px  to 28,800 px w X 18,000  px h.  Dpi is also relative to pixel size which is resolution.  How can you say it means nothing to photoshop?  The more pixels (dpi) the larger the file.  The larger the file, the more ram required amd disk space and so on.

• 5. Re: Why is Photoshop CS6 extremely slow with the brush tool using Wacom pen?
                  Curt Y Community Member

For PS the size in pixels is the ideal number.  Some like to use PPI, which is pixels per inch, which is what is displayed on the screen. 

It is a known fact that you will experience slower response times as the size of the brush goes up.  At what size that occurs depends on the computer to some degree.  So if using a 29K X 18K image and a large brush you will probably experience some lag.  Does this lag go away with smaller brush size?

• 6. Re: Why is Photoshop CS6 extremely slow with the brush tool using Wacom pen?

I just had to open the actual file I was having this issue with.  Not to mention it was happening to previous  files.  This file is 1725px w X 1050 px h at 300 ppi and nly has 11 layers, 5 of which have layer masks and there is 1 adjustment layer.  I made a few strokes n one ofthe layer masks  with a small 25 px brush at 100% hardness and one with a large 250 px brush at 0% hardness.  There was was only a slight delay.  I don't get it.  Could it be the I feel better synndrome after one gets to the doctors office?  I'll let this ride til it happens again and make detailed notes as to how many other apps are running and my external hard drives.  I do run 4 or 5 other apps while running photohop.

• 7. Re: Why is Photoshop CS6 extremely slow with the brush tool using Wacom pen?
                      bellevuefineart Community Member

I have pretty much the exact same hardware and sw setup, and am not seeing that. We also work on very large files.

Once in a while the brushes will slow down, and a reboot fixes it. But we've just upgraded to CS6 on the same HW setup as you, with wacom, and have not seen anything funny. We also upgraded to 10x6.8 and didnt' even upgrade the wacom drivers.