4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2012 5:41 PM by markm77

Need Help Creating simple Gradient Image Sequence

markm77

New to the After Effects program. I am trying to create a radial gradient that I can export as jpg or png image sequence to be used as a mask to run my 3D animation in Modo. I can hand paint the image sequence in Modo, but handpainting 450 frames will make me lose my mind. I know there is a way to set 1 all black kew frame and 1 final frame of the large circle and have AE interpolate everything inbetween and then output each frame to make the image sequence.

tried searching and reading online but couldn't find a clear tutorial. Any help is greatly appreciated.

The pic is just a quick sketch to show what i'm after.

thx

mark1.png

• 1. Re: Need Help Creating simple Gradient Image Sequence
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Add a gradient ramp (Effect>Generate>Ramp) to a solid. Set the ramp to radial and then animate the start and end point.

You can also do the same thing using a Shape Layer filled with a gradient. Just animate the gradient.

This is really basic stuff. Are you a NuBee?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Need Help Creating simple Gradient Image Sequence
            BenjaminMarkus Level 4

I thought I'd illustrate Rick's method but because I don't know what background you're going to use I also illustrated ways of using a matter choker or feathered masks to make the edges of a white solid or gradient transparent.

White_Circle_Gradient.png

A: This is how a shape layer with a radial ramp looks.  The edges will be solid on a transperent background, but you can add a matte choker if you'd like to feather the edges.

B: A white solid with an eliptical mask can simply be feathered so the edges are transperent.  Draw the circle with the eliptical mask tool while holding the shift key to create a perfectly round circle.

C: This is the same shape layer with a radial ramp as depicted in image A only shown on black a background.

D: This is the same white solid  as depicted in image D only with feathered edges on a black background.  One upside to doing it this way is you don't have to animate the start and end points of the ramp if you decide to animate the circle's position.

• 3. Re: Need Help Creating simple Gradient Image Sequence
              markm77 Level 1

Ben,

Sweet! That helps a ton.

• 4. Re: Need Help Creating simple Gradient Image Sequence
                markm77 Level 1

Uh, thx Rick. I know it's super basic (no need to be condescending). NEver used AE before today. My areas of expertise are photoshop, illustrator, indesign, and modo for still images. Just trying to help a friend out with a bit of simple animation.