17 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2012 9:07 PM by Andrew_Hart

Adjustment Brush Slider setting defaults.

Leigh-a Level 1

I notice that even with the Basic Panel sliders  all centered at 0; when selecting the Adjustment Brush the sliders are set at some "pre-determined" value.

Example: I opened an image in ACR7, and all the Basic Panel sliders except the  Temp & Tint  are centered at "0" which makes sense.

When I select the Adjustment Brush the Temp & Tint are at "0", Exposure is at +4.00, Highlights at -61, Shadows at +100 & Clarity at +36; and that seems to be the default for every file opened.

What's with the program making pre-determined settings?  I would have thought they'd default at "0" like the Basic panel?

Leigh

• 1. Re: Adjustment Brush Slider setting defaults.
          Andrew_Hart Level 2

My Basic Panel settings, naturally, are the same as yours.

Selecting the Adjustment Brush also shows Temp and Tint set a zero - seems logical to me - this is a local and not a global adjustment after all.

However the rest of my default settings with the Adjustment Brush are also set at zero EXCEPT for Exposure (set at -1.20 stops) and Sharpness (set at +50) for all unprocessed raw images, no matter how bright/dark or uncrisp respectively.

Seems odd indeed.

I'm using ACR 7.2 and Process 2012.

Message was edited by: Andrew_Hart

• 2. Re: Adjustment Brush Slider setting defaults.
            Leigh-a Level 1

Apparently it "defaults" to the last settings used rather than defaulting to "0".

If there's a way to change that behaviour, I haven't been able to find it.

Leigh

• 3. Re: Adjustment Brush Slider setting defaults.
              Andrew_Hart Level 2

Yes, just tested your theory, and agree that Adjustment Brush settings default to the last settings used.

Apart from the obvious (select a new image and set all adjustments to zero) I have no idea how to prevent this behaviour.

• 4. Re: Adjustment Brush Slider setting defaults.
                Leigh-a Level 1

Oddly, you can't apply a mask unless at least one of the sliders are set to a value other than "0"

• 5. Re: Adjustment Brush Slider setting defaults.
                  Andrew_Hart Level 2

Can't quite see why you would consider that odd.

The way I see it is that unless you've made some adjustment with at least one slider, then there is going to be nothing to mask.

Why do you feel that you should be able to make a mask before setting some adjustment ?

• 6. Re: Adjustment Brush Slider setting defaults.
                    Leigh-a Level 1

I've become acustomed to NIK Vivesa U-point technology where you select an area, and all sliders are at "neutral" until applied.

In addition the NIK program lists each "U" Point (Similar to Pins in ACR's Adjustment brush) seperately, allowing each/any to be turned Off/On to see the effect.

While you can use the Preview in ACR, it "turns off" any corrections previously applied in the Basic Panel and is, therefore, most useful only if the Adjustment Brush is used prior to any adjustments in the Basic Panel. 

• 7. Re: Adjustment Brush Slider setting defaults.
                      Leigh-a Level 1

A WAY TO DO IT:

Found a Scott Kelby tutorial where clicking the + button of the Clarity Slider restores all other sliders to "0"/default ( May work with other than Clarity--I haven't tried anything else).

http://my.safaribooksonline.com/book/photo-and-graphic-manipulation/9780133014785/attitude -adjustment-camera-raw-adjustment-tools/ch04lev1sec7

Lightroom has an "EFFECT" button that when dbl clicked restores to "0"/ Default.   Why Photoshop's ACR differs is beyond me!

• 8. Re: Adjustment Brush Slider setting defaults.
                        Andrew_Hart Level 2

Leigh-a wrote:

A WAY TO DO IT:

Found a Scott Kelby tutorial where clicking the + button of the Clarity Slider restores all other sliders to "0"/default ( May work with other than Clarity--I haven't tried anything else).

Not quite right. Yes, this will zero all other sliders, but it will set +25 for Clarity. This feature works for all the sliders BTW.

To get the effect you desire, just add a new Preset to the drop down list, call it something like 'All sliders zeroed', and then you can simply use the preset whenever needed.

• 9. Re: Adjustment Brush Slider setting defaults.
                          Andrew_Hart Level 2

Leigh-a wrote:

While you can use the Preview in ACR, it "turns off" any corrections previously applied in the Basic Panel and is, therefore, most useful only if the Adjustment Brush is used prior to any adjustments in the Basic Panel. 

I may be misunderstanding what you meant by this, but on its plain meaning it seems wrong.

Assuming you are in the Adjustment Brush panel, toggling the Preview just turns off/on the edits made only in that panel - any edits made in the Basic Panel (or any other panel for that matter) remain visible. It would be quite pointless if they did not.

The only panels in which you can turn off the edits made in other panels are the Presets and Snapshots panels, and there, when you toggle the Preview, its turns off/on all the edits made in all the other panels.

Correction: Just did a test and found that toggling the Preview in Presets/Snapshots does not turn off/on local edits made with the Adjustment Brush. 

Message was edited by: Andrew_Hart

• 10. Re: Adjustment Brush Slider setting defaults.
                            Noel Carboni Level 7

Leigh-a wrote:

Oddly, you can't apply a mask unless at least one of the sliders are set to a value other than "0"

I agree that the software should not prevent you from setting a mask when all the settings are 0.  Of course you won't see anything change while brushing, but given that you can hover over a pin and see the area the adjustment will affect, and especially that you can turn all the settings to 0 once you've set a mask, it seems that the software is just unnecessarily blocking you.

I am imagining that maybe they added the message and blocked that operation because people were complaining to support that when they used the adjustment brush they weren't seeing any adjustment.  Now the message confuses folks, and the limitation frustrates pros.  Sometimes you just can't win. 

-Noel

• 11. Re: Adjustment Brush Slider setting defaults.
                              Andrew_Hart Level 2

Noel,

I've obviously missed the point here.

What exactly do you mean by "setting a mask"?

Do you mean that you should be able to draw the translucent white areas of intended edits and only later decide upon the type of edit (say, Exposure or Clarity or whatever) you want to apply to those marked our areas?

If so, I still can't see the point.

Sorry if this sounds dense, but I can't see any advantage in being able to, if you like, mark out proposed areas for local edits. Why would you not just make the edit, with or without the Mask box ticked ?

• 12. Re: Adjustment Brush Slider setting defaults.
                                Leigh-a Level 1

Now that I know how it works, it makes perfect sense

When utilizing Brush mode "one" would typically have a specific correction, to a specific area/s in mind, & as such a specific Tool to start with.

When you enter Brush mode, you click on the + sign of theTool you intend to use/start with; which reverts all other tools to "0", and applies a Default adjustmet to the chosen tool (Example: Exposure will default to a "starting value of +.50); you then have masking ability, & can "tweak" any of the controls  as desired

If you had a "button" to Zero out all the tools, you'd still have to activate one to apply a mask.

Leigh

• 13. Re: Adjustment Brush Slider setting defaults.
                                  Andrew_Hart Level 2

Leigh-a wrote:

If you had a "button" to Zero out all the tools, you'd still have to activate one to apply a mask.

This is as I, too, understand how it works.

The so-called 'Mask', in its default mode, is coloured translucent white and simply displays the area(s) "Affected" by the brush stroke(s).

You can, of course, change the colour and opacity of the Mask, as well as changing its behaviour so that it displays the area(s) "Unaffected" by the brush stroke(s).

• 14. Re: Adjustment Brush Slider setting defaults.
                                    Noel Carboni Level 7

I guess my point is that the interlock to prevent confusion amongst new people who don't know how the tool works shouldn't get in the way of an experienced user who might be adept enough to paint over the area he/she wants changed first, THEN change the setting to effect the adjustment.

-Noel

• 15. Re: Adjustment Brush Slider setting defaults.
                                      Andrew_Hart Level 2

Noel Carboni wrote:

I guess my point is that the interlock to prevent confusion amongst new people who don't know how the tool works shouldn't get in the way of an experienced user who might be adept enough to paint over the area he/she wants changed first, THEN change the setting to effect the adjustment.

But you can do this now, can't you?

I just set an Exposure adjustment of minus 2 stops then painted over an area with the Mask box ticked. I then closed and then reopened the image in ACR, clicked on the pin to make it active again (green pinhead instead of white) and went back to the Exposure slider and varied the setting between minus 4 stops and plus 4 stops (the full available adjustment range with this slider).

How does this functionality fall short of that which you say should be available ?

• 16. Re: Adjustment Brush Slider setting defaults.
                                        Noel Carboni Level 7

Knowing full well what the Adjustment Brush does, I have on one or two occasions had it emit the message "Unable to create local adjustment.  All the local adjustment controls are set to have no effect on the image".

As one with a bit of Camera Raw experience, that served only to irritate me, not help, as I knew exactly what I was doing and would have liked to brush over the area THEN go set the control to something.

Yes, it's a very minor thing, as I immediately knew to go change a slider then do the brushing again.  But it disrupted by graphic flow of thoughts momentarily.  I imagine there are others who think "paint mask first, adjust later". And note that once you've dropped a pin, it will happily let you set all the adjustments to 0 and continue painting.

As an expert user, I don't like hitting my shins on a guard rail when there's no technical need for it to be there. 

Perhaps the proper thing would be to provide a [  ] Don't Show Again option on that dialog.

-Noel