6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2006 6:43 AM by Newsgroup_User

CSS Query for DavidPowers

IfyO
      Hi David I have been reading your book on Dreamweaver and find it very good. I however found your section on CSS very vague. Which book will explain CSS to me without taking me through unnecessary journey. I want to understand the meaning of all those parameters you used as CSS for Web Objects. Somebody mentioned CSS Mastery: Advanced Web Standards Solutions (Paperback) by Andy Budd.
      What do you think?
        • 1. Re: CSS Query for DavidPowers
          sbell2200
          IfyO, your questions is directed at David Powers and I'm not intending to answer it:)
          Just wanted to comment that I'm also reading/studying his book, and attempting to learn CSS. I have purchased 14 books on CSS in the past 90 days, as a matter of fact (plus one eBook). No single CSS book has really "turned on a huge lightbulb" for me; it seems to be a topic you have to learn incrementally, slowly, and a lot by DOING. The hard part for me is positioning and building CSS code that works across multiple browser platforms. Also keep in mind that the main focus of David Power's book is how to build PHP apps with DW8, vs. CSS - I saw the CSS material as a nice bonus.

The best single investment I have made so far in my CSS learning journey was Hilco van der Meer's eBook "How to Master CSS". Very inexpensive (<$30) and the first eBook I've been truly satisfied with (no affiliation whatsoever). Also, you might want to check out "Teach yourself CSS in 24 hours" by Kynn Bartlett (Sam's), it is all the key CSS topics in a way that you can apply, I've found (again, no affiliation etc).

hth,

steve bell
          bell web communications
          • 2. Re: CSS Query for DavidPowers
            Level 7
            sbell2200 wrote:

> IfyO, your questions is directed at David Powers and I'm not intending to
            > answer it:)
            > Just wanted to comment that I'm also reading/studying his book, and attempting
            > to learn CSS. I have purchased 14 books on CSS in the past 90 days, as a
            > matter of fact (plus one eBook). No single CSS book has really "turned on a
            > huge lightbulb" for me; it seems to be a topic you have to learn incrementally,
            > slowly, and a lot by DOING. The hard part for me is positioning and building
            > CSS code that works across multiple browser platforms. Also keep in mind that
            > the main focus of David Power's book is how to build PHP apps with DW8, vs. CSS
            > - I saw the CSS material as a nice bonus.

In my personal opinion youre probably wasting your money buying books on
            how to learn css. Everything you could ever want to know is on the net,
            for free. I've learnt everything from basically two sources, plus this
            forum is a gold mine of information.

1) www.projectseven.com

Do these tutorials

http://www.projectseven.com/tutorials/css/qdmacfly/index.htm
            http://www.projectseven.com/tutorials/css/css_td/index.htm

Also take a look around the site, its very good. Download any page that
            interests you and look at the stucture and the css.

2) http://css.maxdesign.com.au/floatutorial/

Just go through all of the tutorials systematically. By the end you will
            be able to confidentally build a structure which works cross-browser.

There is infact very few rules you need to learn to build just about any
            structure you want........its less complex than you think.

It is fairly difficult to latch onto a source which provides the most
            simplest BUT effective way to work with css. I've taken down numerous
            sites and seen many many many different variations on ways to write css
            and to accomplish a structure. A lot, in my opinion, are overly complex
            and worthless BUT work. I choose the most simplest ways to achieve the
            same reasults. The two resources that I cite will show you exactly how
            to do that.

Learning php is a completely different kettle of fish because its
            impossible to see how a site deploys it being that it works in the
            'background', which you never get the chance to see.

The bottom line is to learn anything you have to be prepared to 'put the
            hours in' practice and experiment and you'll only do that if you
            seriously want to learn.

• 3. Re: CSS Query for DavidPowers
              Level 7
              IfyO wrote:
              > Hi David I have been reading your book on Dreamweaver and find it very good. I
              > however found your section on CSS very vague.

I'm glad you like the book. The coverage of the CSS used in the case
              study is deliberately brief, as I explain on page 111. Although the
              basic purpose behind each CSS rule is described through inline comments,
              the focus of the book is on PHP. I expect readers to be either up to
              speed on CSS already or to be inspired enough by its use in my book to
              want to learn more.

> Which book will explain CSS to
              > me without taking me through unnecessary journey. I want to understand the
              > meaning of all those parameters you used as CSS for Web Objects. Somebody
              > mentioned CSS Mastery: Advanced Web Standards Solutions (Paperback) by Andy
              > Budd.

It sounds as though you want a quick fix for CSS. Unfortunately, there's
              no such thing. The number of rules in CSS is relatively small, but the
              various properties can be combined in an infinite number of ways. As a
              result, CSS is something that you learn mainly by experimentation.

Andy Budd's "CSS Mastery" is very good, but as the subtitle indicates,
              it's an advanced book. If you're still at the beginning stages with CSS,
              you would probably be better off with Dan Cederholm's "Web Standards
              Solutions" (www.friendsofed.com/book.html?isbn=1590593812).

The way that I learned CSS was by using "Eric Meyer on CSS" and
              reloading the page into a browser after each new style definition. It
              was a painfully slow process, but seeing the incremental changes helped
              me understand the interaction of each definition.

--
              David Powers
              Adobe Community Expert
              Author, "Foundation PHP for Dreamweaver 8" (friends of ED)
              http://foundationphp.com/
              • 4. Re: CSS Query for DavidPowers
                IfyO Level 1
                Thanks a million to you all for your responses. Thanks David. You are an angel
                • 5. Re: CSS Query for DavidPowers
                  Level 7
                  > The way that I learned CSS was by using "Eric Meyer on CSS" and
                  > reloading the page into a browser after each new style definition. It
                  > was a painfully slow process, but seeing the incremental changes
                  > helped me understand the interaction of each definition.

That does seem to be a painful process ;-)

• 6. Re: CSS Query for DavidPowers
                    Level 7
                    Al Sparber- PVII wrote:
                    >> The way that I learned CSS was by using "Eric Meyer on CSS" and
                    >> reloading the page into a browser after each new style definition. It
                    >> was a painfully slow process, but seeing the incremental changes
                    >> helped me understand the interaction of each definition.
                    >
                    >
                    > That does seem to be a painful process ;-)

Scarred for life. :)

--
                    David Powers
                    Adobe Community Expert
                    Author, "Foundation PHP for Dreamweaver 8" (friends of ED)
                    http://foundationphp.com/