0 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2008 1:02 PM by maniac9999

Blank TOC with a red "X" / Java errors

maniac9999 Level 1
      Everyone,

I've been asked to troubleshoot a problem with a build, actually a series of builds in a WebHelp project, built in RH X5 on Windows XP.

The project contains about 7 different builds, with conditional expressions (LOTS of them) in each one. The builds displayed correctly at one time, but they don't now. I had to dig through an archive folder and went back to September 2006 to find a build that displayed correctly. I'm doing more research on that, but that's another issue.

Anyway, when opened any output created in 2007 or 2008, the TOC pane displays a red "X", that, when clicked on, displays a "Java Console" option, which in turn lists the following errors when the build is viewed through Internet Explorer 6, service pack 2:

java.lang.NullPointerException
      at sun.applet.AppletPanel.findAppletJDKLevel(Unknown Source)
      at sun.applet.AppletPanel.createApplet(Unknown Source)
      at sun.plugin.AppletViewer.createApplet(Unknown Source)
      at sun.applet.AppletPanel.runLoader(Unknown Source)
      at sun.applet.AppletPanel.run(Unknown Source)
      at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
      Exception in thread "Thread-4" java.lang.NullPointerException
      at sun.plugin.util.GrayBoxPainter.showLoadingError(Unknown Source)
      at sun.plugin.AppletViewer.showAppletException(Unknown Source)
      at sun.applet.AppletPanel.runLoader(Unknown Source)
      java.lang.NullPointerException
      at sun.plugin.util.GrayBoxPainter.showLoadingError(Unknown Source)
      at sun.plugin.AppletViewer.showAppletStatus(Unknown Source)

I'm not able to view the Index or Search - the build is "frozen" on this blank TOC pane with the starting topic. In Firefox, the TOC is fine, but the Index and Search display "weird"

I tried rebuilding the output on my PC, with the same result. I even closed the project, deleted the CPD file, reopened the project, got the same result. I even deleted all of the subfolders under SSL, then regenerated one of the corrupted outputs - same result. I have NO problems creating new help projects on my own PC, I just can't seem to do anything (or properly view) this help project's output.

I'm thinking it's an issue with IE (maybe Java?), but the last time we stated that theory to our support organization, they ignored us and gave us a band aid solution. My Java runtime is 1.5.0_06 but other people have 1.5.0_11 and they have the same issue - they all see the red "X".

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
      Jim