10 Replies Latest reply: Dec 8, 2012 1:25 PM by circleB RSS

Max Footnote Area

circleB Community Member

I'm having a problem with VERY long footnotes that extend to more than two pages, what's happening is the second page is filled up withe the footnote, then it continues to the third page. Basically I need a way to keep the footnotes from taking over entire pages and maintain at least some of the body text on all pages of the book. My first idea for a work around was to do a frame break somewhere in the footnote to force it to wrap, but as the text in the book has a very good chance of changing several more times before going to print that is a very unattractive approach. I've done some searching around and everybody seems to be saying that a break is the only way.

I just want to check here and see if anybody knew of something else that might work better, or better yet maybe there is a proper way of doing it!

• 1. Re: Max Footnote Area
          Michael Witherell ACP

I would move such material into an appendix at the end of the book.

• 2. Re: Max Footnote Area
            circleB Community Member

I'll let you explain that to the client!

• 3. Re: Max Footnote Area
              MW Design MVP

But here is the thing for the client to consider...with footnotes that long (as used in your example) the footnote one page X would span an incredible number of pages, keeping any other footnotes from appearing on thier respective pages. Even if it could be done, it would be a reading nightmare.

Take care, Mike

• 4. Re: Max Footnote Area
                Peter Spier ACP/MVPs

If the don't like the appendix approach, maybe endnotes would be more appropriate. You can't automate those in the same way that footnotes are supported, but there are scripts to convert footnotes to endnotes.

• 5. Re: Max Footnote Area
                  Michael Witherell ACP

Namely, this is the endnote script resource page: http://www.kahrel.plus.com/indesignscripts.html

• 6. Re: Max Footnote Area
                    Peter Spier ACP/MVPs

Thank you, Michael. I don't have that bookmarked.

And I think I may owe you an apology.... I linked to your own resource page for someone the other day asking a GREP question, and I think I referred to you as someone formerly active here. You seem to be here quite a bit over the last week, and I wanted to say thanks, and welcome back.

• 7. Re: Max Footnote Area
                      circleB Community Member

Yeah, I've tried all of those scripts and messed with EVERYthing out there that I could find... It is mind boggleing how responseless Adobe is to all of the requests for better long document support! InDesign is a very capable program, but when it comes to footnotes and endnotes it is atrocious. After digging through every InDesign blog and forum I could find I decided to post here thinking maybe there would be something new... alas...

• 8. Re: Max Footnote Area
                        Michael Witherell ACP

Hey Peter, I've been busy building InDesign plug-in panels lately. And teaching, and traveling, and house building, and family, and so on... I wish there were more than 24 hours in a day! There isn't enough of me to spread around to all my pursuits.

• 9. Re: Max Footnote Area
                          Michael Witherell ACP

Agreed and alas! We all wish footnotes and endnotes and cross refs were strengthened!

My position has always been to work within the constraints of the software as it currently exists. That means change the design to suit the strengths of the software. I often argue this thought with clients. No, I don't often win this sort of argument with clients! Alas...

• 10. Re: Max Footnote Area
                            circleB Community Member

End/Footnotes has been the extent of long doc stuff that I've needed to deal with on this project (converting 200+ books that were all set in LaTeX) but now that you've mentioned cross refs, I'm sure that is the next bigee. At this point I'm wondering if InDesign is really the way to go with this project. Would you have a moment at some point to warn me of the weaknesses of cross refs? I'm sure I'm going to have to deal with them sooner or later. These books have very specific layout parameters that were mostly achievable with LaTeX, but they aren't using any of the mathematical stuff in TeX. As digital publishing is becoming a bigger and bigger deal, they're considering switching to InDesign (because Adobe seems to be staying ahead of the curve there) for all of the composing and printing of the books. I was pulled in because of my "expertise" but I'm afraid that it is very quickly fading.   Is there anything else out there we should consider maybe? They've already scratched Quark from the list for some reason's that I'm not totally clear on.