3 Replies Latest reply: Jan 11, 2015 6:09 AM by rowejs RSS

Watching network drives/folders? Active File Manager how to use?

Tobias5555

As far as I have seen, many people have problems to let photoshop automatically watch for new contents in folders located on network drives. Me too. I have a photoshop cataloge which refers to network folders. That was no problem at all. The network folders are assigned characters in windows explorer and the network drive is refered to by its name, not its ip adress. the network drive is also accessible with its folders under "network" in windows explorer. when I try to include any of the network folder from "computer" and then select the character (i.g. drive Z) matched to the network folder, I get an error that the drive cannot be found. When I try to connect the folders from "network" -> name of the network drive -> network folder, I get an error that username or password are wrong. I do have the service "adobe active file monitor" running, where some say (yes, I searched the internet before posting this...), you just enter name and passwort in here and everything is fine. But I am not sure what to enter: I have no password using my PC but the network drive is protected by a username (different to windows) and password. So, if using active file monitor can solve my problem, than what do I have to enter exactly (! ) in the field "account" and "password". When I click the button next to "this account" I can only search for users on my desktop PC, the network drive is not shown (?). I am lost.... Thanks in advance!        

• 1. Re: Watching network drives/folders? Active File Manager how to use?
          MichelBParis MVP

Read this:

http://www.johnrellis.com/psedbtool/photoshop-elements-faq.htm#_Watching_Network_Folders

I am not knowledgeable in networks, but the Organizer has not been devised for networks. You can do it at your own risks and perils, but you won't get much support.

Tobias5555 wrote:

As far as I have seen, many people have problems to let photoshop automatically watch for new contents in folders located on network drives.

I think only a very small part of Elements users are using networks, but most of them have problems.

As networks are become less rare in personal environments, I think Adobe should be clear about that restriction in the System Requirements.

• 2. Re: Watching network drives/folders? Active File Manager how to use?
            Tobias5555 Community Member

Thanks for the quick reply!

The solution under the link you posted, just says "On the Logon tab, change to “This account” and enter the name of your account (on the computer that runs PSE) and its password". The problem is, that I am not sure what to enter as account and password when I change the logon information from "this account" to "this account" (german version: "dieses konto"). There is a button "search/browse" (german: "durchsuchen") with which I get into another menu allowing me to select objecttyp and path for the user which should be logged on, but objecttyps just lets me select "users" and the path only lets my select my desktop pc not the nas/network drive. I don't see any accounts here. There is a possibility to just enter the objecttyps to use, but I don't know what to enter. I am using my computer with the local user (administator access as far as I think) and no password. the network drive (QNAP, Unix) is accessed with user (different name as the local user I use for Windows) and a password. So do I have to enter name/password for the network drive or name/password for the computer? As active file monitor is a service running from the windows environment I think it can only refer to the Windows user. But that would be the same user as the local systemaccount which is the default user which already runs the active file monitor as I only have one windows user configured. Or is there a difference between local systemaccount and local user? But if you have to use local user or local systemaccount how does the system get the the login information for the network drive? Or are those stored with the local user (..different to the local systemaccount..) when I start up the computer?      

Still lost... And yes, Adobe should find a better solution as more and more people are using network drives because of more and more tablets, cell phones and so on using the same data (if you don't want to use any cloud solution).

• 3. Re: Watching network drives/folders? Active File Manager how to use?
              rowejs

I'm having this same problem. How can I enter the correct credentials for my network drive when the only users windows recognises are local to my computer? I'm using a WD MyBook Live and I can't find any settings on it that make a difference. Any luck with this problem?