8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2013 1:26 PM by Speyguytvs

Support for Sigma DP2M x3f

Speyguytvs Level 1

When will support for the above camera be available in LR4 or CS6 ( I have both) ?

Thks

Tim

• 1. Re: Support for Sigma DP2M x3f
          Jeff A Wright Adobe Employee

Moving this discussion to the Adobe Camera RAW forum.

• 2. Re: Support for Sigma DP2M x3f
            Kendall Gelner Level 1

I wanted to chime in and say I'd love to see DP-2M support also, and the other Merrill sensor cameras like the SD-1M, and other DP cameras.

• 3. Re: Support for Sigma DP2M x3f
              JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That kind of information is never provided from Adobe. You will just have to wait and see like everyone else does.

• 4. Re: Support for Sigma DP2M x3f
                Speyguytvs Level 1

Hi Jim

I think the support would be available but Sigma has to make their proprietary

raw file structure available to Adobe so it can be accommodated in LR.

Sigma owners should be contacting Sigma or there distributors to request

they consider doing this or Sigma should farm out the Foven sensor to a

another camera company ( Sony for eg) so this could happen through

there creation using Foven.  Sigma  is not known

for their camerass and really the only draw for me is the Foven sensor

other than that the DP-2M is about as crude as it gets.

• 5. Re: Support for Sigma DP2M x3f

As long as we have to continue to deal with proprietary raw formats this issue is not going to be resolved satisfactorily for the consumers.  There has been very little cooperation, as far as I know, between camera manufacturers and Adobe.  And why should there be?  Some camera makers (Nikon for one) sell their own software.  So, why would they want to cooperate with Adobe?  Adopting the DNG format would be a solution, but not very many camera makers are going in that direction.  And until acceptance is much more widespread I'm not interested in using DNG.  I suppose this discussion could go on for pages.  But it's kind of senseless.  Adobe provides support as quickly as it can.  But there is never in any indication beforehand telling us what to expect.

• 6. Re: Support for Sigma DP2M x3f
                    Speyguytvs Level 1

Jim Stop and think what you are saying.  Take a look at the number of cameras that aresupported and are continually supported under LR or Photoshop.Sigma wants to sell cameras right ?  The camerain question is nothing more than a Foven in a body ...full stop.  You would thing is you wantto sell what is a good sensor (not camera) for landscapes and you are trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear from a camera function standpoint you would appeal to the editing audience that use LR and Photoshop. They can't do anything about the camera's functionsat this point but they sure could from a workflow perspective.  Any review on this camera is all about the great  sensorand all the negatives (and there are tons) is all about functionality.   It does not seem to matterto other camera manufactures that they share their proprietary file formats because they want theirpotential buyers to be able to edit under some of the best editing software currentlyavailable and if you are already an Adobe user that may have some bearing whether youbuy the camera or not.  It's not rocket science. To further support my contention I havegarnered the Sigma distributor in Canada's support on this particular issue.  In other words it makes not sense tothem either, if Sigma wants to sell anything with a Foven then have raw supported in LR andPhotoshop.  Most upgrades in LR and Photshop are to add the new cameras as they come on stream except Sigma Foven.  As to being asenseless discussion I disagree...Sigma owners need to howl like hell to get their attention andsmarten up !  Sigma's first foray with the sensor was in the high end arena.  It went nowhereand they finally had to blow them out a fire sale prices.  I think they are a buck short whenit comes to marketing their Foven sensor products.  They should stick to lenses.  They get thatright sometimes. t

Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 07:48:33 -0800

To: wtforward@hotmail.com

Subject: Support for Sigma DP2M x3f

Re: Support for Sigma DP2M x3f

created by JimHess in Adobe Camera Raw - View the full discussion

As long as we have to continue to deal with proprietary raw formats this issue is not going to be resolved satisfactorily for the consumers.  There has been very little cooperation, as far as I know, between camera manufacturers and Adobe.  And why should there be?  Some camera makers (Nikon for one) sell their own software.  So, why would they want to cooperate with Adobe?  Adopting the DNG format would be a solution, but not very many camera makers are going in that direction.  And until acceptance is much more widespread I'm not interested in using DNG.  I suppose this discussion could go on for pages.  But it's kind of senseless.  Adobe provides support as quickly as it can.  But there is never in any indication beforehand telling us what to expect.

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at http://forums.adobe.com/message/5107193#5107193

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/5107193#5107193

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/5107193#5107193. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Adobe Camera Raw by email or at Adobe Community

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/message/2936746#2936746.

• 7. Re: Support for Sigma DP2M x3f

I'm not really sure what your argument is.  It doesn't matter how great Sigma or you think the sensor is.  I have thought about what I said, and I meant what I said.  You and other Sigma owners need to complain to whoever you feel is appropriate to resolve the problem.  I'm sorry, but I'm not interested.  I don't work for Adobe, nor do most of the people who respond on this forum.  I will not participate in this discussion anymore.

• 8. Re: Support for Sigma DP2M x3f
                        Speyguytvs Level 1

Jim

Please read my response.  The Sigma issue has absolutley nothing

to do with Adobe and everthing to do with Sigma.  For others who might

drop in here with the same kind of question and read this thread they

may conclude correctly to contact Sigma and pose the question.

Don't know how you figure 'argument' but so be it.  Please honour

the last sentence in your last post.

Cheers