9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2009 7:30 AM by Scotchester

Over-constrained palette in GIF export

jpf
      Every once in a while, when I am exporting to GIF, Fireworks seems to over-constrain the color palette. For example, I am working with a button image that I'd like to export, which has two subtle gradients, in ranges of gray and green. They are banding badly in export. I have turned off Snap to Web Safe, I've selected "Exact" as the export palette (which, as usual, reverts back to "adaptive" but unusually hasn't loaded an exact palette). My palette limit is maxed at 256 colors, but the palette tells me it is only using 108. I've tried resetting the palette every way I know how.

Furthermore, when I export the same image from Photoshop (having pasted in as a 24 bit full color PNG) it exports as a GIF no problem. So I know that it can be done, but I don't want to have to switch to PS just to export these images!

I've tried all of the preset palettes in FW to no avail. I don't know why it is limiting itself to only 108 of the 256 allowed colors, which requires the gradients to be banded. This behavior pops up on me every few weeks it seems, and I can't seem to see a pattern in which images are affected.

What's the story? How can I get the export palette to expand to its full potential? Am I missing something, or is this just buggy behavior?