9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2012 1:26 PM by cullyeefas

nVidia K5000M GPU - zero support from nVidia

cullyeefas

There are a couple threads about some issues with the new K5000M GPU from nVidia.

Bottom line is this. Great card, it does run in Premeire CS6 w/ a little coaxing. BUT, expect nothing from nVidia in terms of support. I got to "Level 2" support, was to get a call back & got nothing. All I did get was the Company Policy of not

supporting GPU's bought anywhere but directly @ nVidia. In my case, it's in a HP8770w. nVidia defers all to HP. HP had no clue but are now adding links from these Forums and all other notes on getting the K5000M configured in their flagship laptop.

Too bad nVidia does not support their flagship mobile GPU - but with the config posted here & elsewhere - who needs em!

• 1. Re: nVidia K5000M GPU - zero support from nVidia
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I build my own (with LOTS of reading here) but I will have to say that any company is only going to put support resources into what they perceive to be their "main" customer market

Video editing is not a huge market... at least at the PPro level... so it does not surprise me that any given "general sales" vendor does not put much effort into optimizing support for PPro

Which is why http://www.adkvideoediting.com/ is very often recommended for someone who wants to buy instead of building their own

• 2. Re: nVidia K5000M GPU - zero support from nVidia
            Harm Millaard Level 7

It is the famous vicious circle you end up with:

nVidia: No, we can't give support, you have to contact the supplier of the card, in this case HP.

HP: Well, it works, so we can't give more support. If you have problems with the driver, contact nVidia.

nVidia: No problems with our driver, so you really must contact HP or the software supplier you have problems with.

HP: The card performs as designed, so we can't give you more support.

Adobe: We don't support that card, so you have to ask HP or nVidia.

and on and on. Well, that is how it works in practice.

• 3. Re: nVidia K5000M GPU - zero support from nVidia
              Alex - DV411 Level 2

Frankly I don't get it.

Too bad nVidia does not support their flagship mobile GPU - but with the config posted here & elsewhere - who needs em!

How do you expect "support" from respective vendors on something they explicitly don't support?  Adobe does not yet support K5K.  HP, to their credit, have extensive configuration files for many applications, just maybe not for an application released just 8 months ago, with a card released less than three months ago.  On top of it, how do you expect HP or NVidia to support something Adobe explicitly doesn't?

• 4. Re: nVidia K5000M GPU - zero support from nVidia
                cullyeefas Level 1

Alex, if you look @ nVidias GPU page, Adobes GPU page and HP's ads (or anyone elses) the hype about the card is prett big. Really big in fact. Working in advertising, and my job being to lie.............I'm not surprised.

Now, no-where did I write or imply that I expect support. I also never said they explicitly don't support the card. Please top making broad generalizations with no source or substance.

The point here was simple, and twofold.

a. get the card running in the system

b. put any pressure on the manus to deal with this - posting here & elsewhere actually helps as they read..........

So, should I have thrown up my hands & said - "well. the card is only 3 months old and the app is 9"? Should I just wait till Adobe, HP & nVidia get their collective acts together & have full support? Should I sit back and wait for someone else. ot others to TRY and WORK THRU IT? No, as a lifelong freelance I deal with it myself - and look to forums & any other surces for help, input & aid. My workflow needed the Rig now, not when all decide it's ok to use.

Sittting back & giving up, or deciding the Tech is too new & I should wait is a defeatist approach and exactly what is wrong with this country. I spent an hour in the phone with HP making sure thay had all the info, links etc for the K5000M in their Elitebook. Why? Now HP does have the info and HP clients (or anyone who reads here) will not have to go thru this again and can get down to work. Now, HP does offer support - thanks to people here, other Sites & time on the phone. That - IME is how this all works.

If we all took the "it's too new" or "it's not supported yet so we can't use it" attitude - Tech would be sitting on shelves gathering dust while a bunch of nervous sheep waited to see if it gets approved. I don't wait, don't mind hacking thru anything & enjoy brand new Tech and the rewards it brings to my Productions & my clients. Never been a fan of follwing blindly or sticking my head in the sand.

• 5. Re: nVidia K5000M GPU - zero support from nVidia
                  cullyeefas Level 1

As this is a Hardware Forum, I'll add this.

High end (Full HD or4K) is not only huge, but IMO is the future. Back when the Canon XL-1 was out - they made Feature Films with them. DSLR's are now common on TV production shoots, Hollywood Films, on location in the field & some fools even use them exclusively from Helicopters..............The reason for the DSLR's? Mobile, portable gear. You can get in close, produce an amazing product and the files are perfect.

The problem for many, many years - speed in editing without eing tied to a massive tower/expensive cards. As a Mobile Production Company, I work all over on the ground, in the air, from boats & rolling vehicles or other platforms. I have to tuen content for the News, TV (here and in Europe) and Film components instantly. That is my job.

In addition to seeing Canon DSLR's & RED cameras on TV. Film & other stes - we had been seeing hopped up laptops. Even time lapse work shot in 5K needs massive processor power to deal with. Now, Producers and Directors are realizing that they can sit with a laptop - say a HP 8770w - and edit as the scenes are being filmed........... Then, take the same 8770w back to the Hotel, the Studio, the truck - and tie it to a larger monitor for another stage of editing. No longer do we have to wait till we get back to start the process. More importantly, with such a fast system - it makes it a lot more FUN! I can now drop shots into a timeline as they happen, instant import & realtime playback & editing - all on location - wherever that may be day to day. This is a DREAM for me & my Production Company. This is something I have waited years for (am 43).

Streamed content is the future - and it's already here. There are a LOT of people like myself looking for crazy speed for monster files. I chose HP's 8770w not just for it's current config - but for it's scalability. Easy to add components, easily upgradeable. The chassis is built like a tank, as expected. My goal was a machine I would get 14 - 16 months out of before replacing it - I may get 24! It's on a lease - so I could care less...............lol

Please do not discount what is already being done w/ PP. It's everywhere (if you watch TV, Movies or the internet) and as Apple dropped the ball with FCX (actually, they ran over the ball w/a Prius) and their continued war with Adobe. You will see more of a switch to PP and high powered WIN based machines. The HP is my first non-Mac production machine - ever....... Why? cause Mac cannot deliver the speed, configs and OS anymore.. Especially on a mobile workstation.

As I have written in other threads - this HP is much faster than I had even hoped and well worth the hassle of setting it up - as is anything @ this level or that moves all forward. IMO of course..............

• 6. Re: nVidia K5000M GPU - zero support from nVidia
                    Alex - DV411 Level 2

Now, no-where did I write or imply that I expect support. I also never said they explicitly don't support the card. Please top making broad generalizations with no source or substance.

Didn't think I did (generalize):

Too bad nVidia does not support their flagship mobile GPU...

Speaking of generalizations:

...a defeatist approach and exactly what is wrong with this country.

A bit of a stretch and a generalization, perhaps?

If we all took the "it's too new" or "it's not supported yet so we can't use it" attitude - Tech would be sitting on shelves gathering dust while a bunch of nervous sheep waited to see if it gets approved.

You don't by any chance think Eric's and my businesses would still be in business if "we all took that approach"?  Most of the folks (tinkerers, DIY people, integrators) on this forum clearly don't - or they wouldn't be here.

Speaking of which, it only took 0.42 seconds to look up "HP video editing integrator", and maybe a few more minutes to figure out who to call, and then get the problem fixed - quickly and without "defeatist approach is what's wrong with this country" proclamations.  Just a thought.

• 7. Re: nVidia K5000M GPU - zero support from nVidia
                      cullyeefas Level 1

[Personal attack deleted]

• 8. Re: nVidia K5000M GPU - zero support from nVidia
                        Jeff Bellune Level 5

cullyeefas,

Your last post crossed the line and was in clear violation of this forum's terms of use agreement.  Any further such comments from you and your account will be suspended.

Jeff

• 9. Re: nVidia K5000M GPU - zero support from nVidia
                          cullyeefas Level 1

Seriously? how does the word troll cross any line? I came here for info - got some and a bunch of sniping & holier than thou attitude.

Have fun, I regret ever coming here & will not make that mistake again. Wow, what a one sided, narrow minded place.