5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2012 2:27 PM by Victor Belle

CS6 Background changes in Windows 8

Victor Belle Level 1

My background in CS6 changes after upgrading to Windows 8.  I have checked all of my settings but can't change the constant changing from solid Gray to checkerboard.  I have the latest drivers for my video card and this is a system dedicated to imaging.  This never happened in Win7.  You can see the difference in these two screen shots.  Any ideas?

Thanks in advance......

Victor

CS6 Correct Screen2.pngCS6 Screen Shot2.png

• 1. Re: CS6 Background changes in Windows 8
          Noel Carboni Level 8

Do you have an ATI video card?

Try switching to Basic mode in the Performance Prefs, Advanced section (and restarting Photoshop before testing).

There are many driver problems with Windows 8.  People often assume a new OS will run all their programs on the day it's released.  Maybe a long time ago companies would strive for perfection before release, but alas this is the age of the cloud.  Release early, before it's done, then let the users update things later as they are made to work.

-Noel

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: CS6 Background changes in Windows 8
            Victor Belle Level 1

Yes..... I have an ATI card - 5800 series.  I'll try the basic mode and see what happens.  This is really driving me nuts.  I had thought about upgrading my GPU to an EVGA 680 series card but I would certainly not want to experience the same thing with an upgrade. 

Thanks for responding....

Victor

• 3. Re: CS6 Background changes in Windows 8
              Victor Belle Level 1

Basic mode eliminated the background changes.  Maybe its time to upgrade...... This stuff is about three years old and I've been toying with building another dedicated imaging computer. 

Thanks so much for your response.....

Victor

• 4. Re: CS6 Background changes in Windows 8
                Noel Carboni Level 8

You're welcome.  Glad to hear it helped you.

I think even with the latest ATI cards there are driver problems (not to mention driver problems in Windows 7 as well).  I have a 7850 on Windows 8 and have had to stick with Catalyst 12.8 drivers since 12.10 and newer have serious problems.  Needless to say, ATI is scrambling to get their drivers squared away.

Keep in mind if you switch brands, the task of ferreting out the drivers from the old card is a little more than trivial (though I have heard there are some good driver sweeper type programs).

-Noel

• 5. Re: CS6 Background changes in Windows 8
                  Victor Belle Level 1

Good advice regarding changing GPU Brands.  I think its best to just start from scratch and build from the ground up. 

Thanks again.....

Victor