9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2012 10:50 AM by SimonWM

Photoshop CS6 Crashing while Iddle

SimonWM

I leave my computer on all day.  This is a new system Windows 7 Pro, 6 core i7 64 bit, 32MB of ram.  Using CS 6 64 bit as well.  I've had two crashes happen while being away from the house when returning to my computer and logging back on I have a crash message from Photoshop and have to ok and let the application close.  I have to note that my Windows 7 system logs off by itself after a long time of inactivity and I just log on myself again.  I have other application open like Windows  live Mail, 3D Coat and DAZ Studio but so far no crash with those, the only one seems to be Photoshop CS6.  Here's the two reports from Windows Event Viewer:

1st crash: 12/7/2012

Faulting application name: Photoshop.exe, version: 13.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4f61c045

Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.17725, time stamp: 0x4ec4aa8e

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x0000000000029c12

Faulting process id: 0x19ac

Faulting application start time: 0x01cdd47c9dba0621

Faulting application path: E:\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6 (64 Bit)\Photoshop.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll

Report Id: 093a26f5-40aa-11e2-9033-3085a999ac96

2nd crash:12/9/2012

Faulting application name: Photoshop.exe, version: 13.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4f61c045

Faulting module name: Pen_Tablet.dll_unloaded, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x50a41e6f

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x000007feedbf0ac5

Faulting process id: 0x1774

Faulting application start time: 0x01cdd4b6f808eda3

Faulting application path: E:\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6 (64 Bit)\Photoshop.exe

Faulting module path: Pen_Tablet.dll

Report Id: 73f57fd7-4261-11e2-9033-3085a999ac96

• 1. Re: Photoshop CS6 Crashing while Iddle
          Curt Y Level 7

It looks like the culprit is the Faulting module name: Pen_Tablet.dll_unloaded, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x50a41e6f at least on 2nd crash.

Make sure that driver is up to date and working OK.

• 2. Re: Photoshop CS6 Crashing while Iddle
            Curt Y Level 7

The first crash was with Faulting Module ntdll.dll which usually means that a driver has crashed -- so you probably want to check your video, printer, scanner, tablet, and camera drivers.

So both point to the tablet driver.

• 3. Re: Photoshop CS6 Crashing while Iddle
              SimonWM Level 1

I have a Wacom Bamboo tablet but I'm using their latest driver.

• 4. Re: Photoshop CS6 Crashing while Iddle
                Curt Y Level 7

What can I say, in most cases the Faulting Module is where the problem lies.

Might try unplugging the tablet, although the driver would still be active.

Perhaps the tablet does not like the sleep mode and can not wake up.

• 5. Re: Photoshop CS6 Crashing while Iddle
                  SimonWM Level 1

Thank you Curt.  I'll have it under observation.  Will keep updating this thread with more information as it happens.  So far haven't lost any work thank god since I always save before leaving my computer for a long period of time and like I said both crashes happened while I'm away for a long time and the computer is inactive and has automatically logged me off.

• 6. Re: Photoshop CS6 Crashing while Iddle
                    Curt Y Level 7

I have used the event viewer before, but never able to find the screen with the info you show.  Once in Event View what are you clicking to get there?

Thanks.

• 7. Re: Photoshop CS6 Crashing while Iddle
                      SimonWM Level 1

Hmm, now I can reply!!!  Looks like the forum was acting up on me before and I could log on but couldn't post.  Anyways I read your PM and answered.  I've had crashes on other applications and I think my crash is not related to Photoshop but Windows 7 power saving configuration since the application in front is the one that crashes when Windows wakes up.  This is how I get to the General report.

in Event Viewer I went thru Event Viewer (Local) then Custom Views and then Administrative Events. Then I have two tabs, one says "General" and the other Says "Details". The "General" tab is the one that has the format you want. Please let me know if I can help you further.

For continuity sake this is the new crash I had, these "on wake up crashes" started to happen after I upgraded my cable modem. 

Faulting application name: 3d-CoatDX64C.exe, version: 1.0.0.1, time stamp: 0x5054babf

Faulting module name: 3d-CoatDX64C.exe, version: 1.0.0.1, time stamp: 0x5054babf

Exception code: 0xc000041d

Fault offset: 0x0000000001b76415

Faulting process id: 0x10ac

Faulting application start time: 0x01cdd6d9e66fe856

Faulting application path: E:\Program Files\3D-Coat-V3\3d-CoatDX64C.exe

Faulting module path: E:\Program Files\3D-Coat-V3\3d-CoatDX64C.exe

Report Id: 0022478a-431a-11e2-9033-3085a999ac96

• 8. Re: Photoshop CS6 Crashing while Iddle
                        Curt Y Level 7

Looks like now the faulting module is 3D-Coat.  A web search says it is plug in so looks like nothing to do with cable modem.

• 9. Re: Photoshop CS6 Crashing while Iddle
                          SimonWM Level 1

No that's not a plugin but a 3D application as demanding of computer resources as Photoshop.  I had Photoshop closed when leaving the computer that time but 3D Coat stayed open in the front so this time it was the one who crashed when I returned to my computer, hours after, upon logging in, just like Photoshop.  The crash always happens on waking up windows.  I'm tying them up with the new modem cause after I installed that modem was when the crashes on waking up started to happen plus there are some other warnings related to the Gigabit ethernet.  Even though I get those warnings my connection to the internet keeps working fine.  I researched those errors and find a discussion blaming Windows 7 settings for power save.

Intel(R) 82579V Gigabit Network Connection

Network link is disconnected.

I'm just closing the power hungry applications before leaving the computer unattended for hours and the crashes don't happen.