6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2012 5:07 AM by Yammer

how to download and open 7.1 for CS5?

santamonica811

I have CS5 (I got the DVD directly from Adobe), and have been using it for some time with no problems.  Now that I have a new camera, I want a more recent version of RAW, so that my camera's RAW files can be read.  But inside PS, under Help, the "Updates" tab is grayed out . . . I cannot access it.  I tried closing down PS and opening it under "run as administrator" (I have Windows Vista as my OS).  Still grayed out.

By hunting around on DPreview.com, I was able to find a direct link for the download.  Downloaded the .zip file.  Extracted all the files, but there's no .exe file in there.  Tried clicking on everything there, just to see if anything would work.  Nothing.  Downloaded again the Adobe Application Manager.  The Manager does not show Camera RAW as one of the 14 available programs to download and/or try.

What's my next step?

• 1. Re: how to download and open 7.1 for CS5?
          Yammer Level 4

Firstly, CR 7.x only works on CS6. The last version of CR for CS5 is 6.7, which you can download from Adobe.

However, your "new camera" may not be supported by CR 6.7. Check this link: http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html

I don't know why Updates is grayed out. Did you wait and try again?

If it isn't, you have several options. I won't type it all out again today. Read this: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1112203 or please read the forum FAQ. Actually, if you can find the FAQ, you're a better person than I.

• 2. Re: how to download and open 7.1 for CS5?
            Mollysnoot Level 3

ACR 7.x won't work on CS5 - you need CS6 for it to work. The last version of ACR that would work with CS5 was 6.7. Once a new version of PS is released, new camera support for older versions of ACR ceases.

You can either upgrade, or convert the new camera files to DNG using Adobe's free convertor. You don't say what camera model, so I'll just have to hope it's supported by the current version of the DNG convertor... But it probably is/will be soon.

Hope this helps. Not neccessarily what you wanted to hear I guess, but the convertor will allow you to open the new camera files into ACR on CS5.

M

Edit: Oh, I see Yammer P beat me to it! Too slow with the typing today. The FAQ is up at the top of the forum in my browser: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/311515?tstart=0

• 3. Re: how to download and open 7.1 for CS5?
              ct1211

So I pay thousands for CS5 and a year later I cant get a RAW file for a new camera. I wont be back for more of this!

• 4. Re: how to download and open 7.1 for CS5?
                Yammer Level 4

ct1211 wrote:

So I pay thousands for CS5 and a year later I cant get a RAW file for a new camera. I wont be back for more of this!

You should complain to your camera manufacturer for not providing a Raw format which is understood by your software. Several manufacturers provide DNG setting already. We're just fellow users or Adobe software engineers, and your breath is wasted here.

It's like buying an iPhone 5 and complaining to your dock manufacturer that the socket doesn't fit.

• 5. Re: how to download and open 7.1 for CS5?
                  b2martin_a Level 2

Your only option with CS5 is to download the latest DNG converter (the version available with ACR7.3) and convert your camera RAW files to DNG files and then you can open them with CS5 ACR 6.7.  I am assuming your camera is supported with the DNG converter that is available with ACR7.3. 

This is due to the fact that there is no standard format for RAW files supported by the camera manufacturers, they have to also upgrade their software to support new cameras.  If Nikon upgraded Capture NX2 to Capture NX3, then NX2 would not support new cameras released after NX3 was available and you would have to upgrade NX2 to NX3 - same issue you have with CS5. 

• 6. Re: how to download and open 7.1 for CS5?
                    Yammer Level 4

b2martin_a wrote:

This is due to the fact that there is no standard format for RAW files supported by the camera manufacturers

DNG?