6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2013 11:08 AM by 3iaraskin

Support for Blackberry OS?

cmunasinha

Hi,

I was wondering whether there were any plans to support the Blackberry OS?

Thanks,

Chris

• 1. Re: Support for Blackberry OS?
          Mark_Rausch Adobe Employee

Hi Chris. No, we currently don't have any plans to support Blackberry.

Thanks,

Mark

• 2. Re: Support for Blackberry OS?
            cmunasinha Level 1

Hi Mark,

Out of curiosity, is there any particular reason?

Thanks,

Chris

• 3. Re: Support for Blackberry OS?

Hi Chris,

Yes. Basically it takes quite a bit of effort to develop individual mobile clients for Edge Inspect. We have to code for multiple versions of the mobile OS, handle multiple connection/disconnection scenarios, take & return screenshots with limited available memory and bandwidth, etc. Then we have to get multiple representative devices and test through all of our scenarios before we can release a mobile client for that OS.

We have to balance the amount of effort to develop mobile clients against the payoff for that effort. In the case of Blackberry that's quite a bit of effort for devices that have less than 6% penetration worldwide. And that number is shrinking quickly. So, from the outset we haven't considered Blackberry a high enough priority to put in the effort to develop an Edge Inspect client for it.

That said, we have been looking into ways we can provide some of the same Edge Inspect functionality on unsupported mobile OSes like Blackberry and Windows mobile. We're also keeping an eye on those OSes in case we see something that would change the equation so we'd feel it would be worth the effort.

So, let me ask you... how would you like to use Edge Inspect with Blackberry? Would you mostly make use of the synchronized browsing feature, or would you need a full-featured mobile client for it?

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Support for Blackberry OS?
                cmunasinha Level 1

Hi Mark,

A lot of that is what I figured would be the case but thanks for explaining.

I'm a web dev based in the UK where the percentage of Blackberry users are closer to 20% apparently (although again I know the figures are dropping). It's not a deal-breaking concern long term but I do sometimes get asked to cover the broadest range of browsers/devices so for the Blackberry ideally at the minimum, synchronised browsing would be helpful. Its not just for Blackberry devices though - I also have a number of users on older iOS and Android devices (hence the question asked here: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4922099). I can visually ensure rendering is usable at the very least, and in all honesty I don't use the other features as much - wenire I would only use on the newer devices to make my life easier to ensure 100% compatibility.

Does that help clear up how I would use Edge Inspect?

Cheers,

Chris

PS: Thanks for all your hard work is very much appreciated and it almost makes the Creative Cloud subscription worth it on its own!

• 5. Re: Support for Blackberry OS?

This is definitely helpful. I'll go ahead and pass this thread along to our product manager.

Thanks,

Mark

• 6. Re: Support for Blackberry OS?
                    3iaraskin

+1 for BlackBerry support