10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2006 2:58 PM by Mark754

Rounded rectangle question

Mark754 Level 1
      I'm creating some navigation tabs and text boxes using the rounded rectangle tool and was wondering how to make the rounded corners consistent among different sized graphics. For example, when applying the same roundness factor (e.g. 5%) to rectangles of different widths or heights, the resulting corners are rounded by different amounts, depending on the dimensions of the recangle. I tried adjusting the rounding factor by partial amount (e.g. 4.5%), but this isn't possible.

Thanks for any help.

• 1. Re: Rounded rectangle question
          Level 7
          Mark,

Try using the Rounded Rectangle Auto Shape and the Auto Shape Properties
          Panel to keep all the corners consistent.

Windows > Auto Shape Properties.

Alex

Mark754 wrote:
          > I'm creating some navigation tabs and text boxes using the rounded rectangle
          > tool and was wondering how to make the rounded corners consistent among
          > different sized graphics. For example, when applying the same roundness factor
          > (e.g. 5%) to rectangles of different widths or heights, the resulting corners
          > are rounded by different amounts, depending on the dimensions of the recangle.
          > I tried adjusting the rounding factor by partial amount (e.g. 4.5%), but this
          > isn't possible.
          >
          > Thanks for any help.
          >
          >
          >
          • 2. Rounded rectangle question
            Mark754 Level 1
            I did that. I tried both using the autoshape properties panel, as well as starting out with an unrounded rectange and then adding roundness via the property inspector.

In both cases, the differering width of rectangles results in different roundness levels for each. - e.g. two rectangles, one 100 px wide, the other 200 px wide. Same height for both. Both use 5% roundness, yet they look different. The wider rectangle has a wider curve around the corners and the small rectangle has a sharper curve.
            • 3. Re: Rounded rectangle question
              pinneke
              use the subselection tool. select the anchorpoints on one side and drag them in to the position you want.

• 4. Re: Rounded rectangle question
                Level 7
                Have you tried making one rounded rectangle, converting it to a symbol
                and then scaling the instances?

--
                Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
                Extending Knowledge, Daily
                http://www.communityMX.com/
                CommunityMX - Free Resources:
                http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
                ---
                .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
                news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.fireworks
                news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver

Mark754 wrote:
                > I'm creating some navigation tabs and text boxes using the rounded rectangle
                > tool and was wondering how to make the rounded corners consistent among
                > different sized graphics. For example, when applying the same roundness factor
                > (e.g. 5%) to rectangles of different widths or heights, the resulting corners
                > are rounded by different amounts, depending on the dimensions of the recangle.
                > I tried adjusting the rounding factor by partial amount (e.g. 4.5%), but this
                > isn't possible.
                >
                > Thanks for any help.
                >
                >
                >
                • 5. Rounded rectangle question
                  Mark754 Level 1
                  >use the subselection tool. select the anchorpoints on one side and drag them in to the position you want.

Yes, this will work, but isn't very precise. I think I'll just create separate images for the corners and then merge them into the different sized graphics.
                  • 6. Re: Rounded rectangle question
                    Mark754 Level 1
                    quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
                    Have you tried making one rounded rectangle, converting it to a symbol
                    and then scaling the instances?

Thanks. Doing it this way reduces, but doesn't eliminate the distortion in corner rounding.
                    • 7. Re: Rounded rectangle question
                      pinneke Level 1
                      quote:

Originally posted by: Mark754
                      >use the subselection tool. select the anchorpoints on one side and drag them in to the position you want.

Yes, this will work, but isn't very precise. I think I'll just create separate images for the corners and then merge them into the different sized graphics.

I use the arrowkeys for precise adjustments.
                      • 8. Re: Rounded rectangle question
                        Level 7
                        Mark,

If I insert a Rounded Rectangle from the Auto Shape Properties Panel and
                        give it the radius I want I can then copy and paste the rectangle,
                        change the size with the handle provided and the radius stays the same.

The following image represents 45 seconds of work.
                        http://www.alexmarino.com/assets/rectangle.gif

Alex

Mark754 wrote:
                        >
                        quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
                        > Have you tried making one rounded rectangle, converting it to a symbol
                        > and then scaling the instances?
                        >

>
                        > Thanks. Doing it this way reduces, but doesn't eliminate the distortion in
                        > corner rounding.
                        >
                        • 9. Re: Rounded rectangle question
                          Level 7
                          Mark754 wrote:
                          > I did that. I tried both using the autoshape properties panel, as well as
                          > starting out with an unrounded rectange and then adding roundness via the
                          > property inspector.
                          >
                          > In both cases, the width of rectangles results in different roundness levels
                          > for each. E.G. two rectangles, one 100 px wide, the other 200 px wide. Same
                          > height for both. Both use 5% roundness, yet they look different. The wider
                          > rectangle has a wider curve around the corners and the small rectangle has a
                          > sharper curve.

How are you resizing the rectangles? You need to use the AutoShape
                          Properties panel for that as well or your corners will get distorted.

--
                          St�phane Bergeron
                          reach : connect : communicate
                          http://www.webfocusdesign.com
                          blog : tutorials : articles : gallery
                          http://www.pixelyzed.com
                          • 10. Re: Rounded rectangle question
                            Mark754 Level 1
                            Aha. That works. Before, I was merely resizing them in the property inspector. Thanks very much.