9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2014 9:55 AM by Murray Hutcherson

Audio and animation on iPad?

devel0per Level 1

I created an animation in Edge and I need to have audio play with the animation on an iPad. After lots of testing and research, I believe the only way to "key" audio on the iPad is if the user clicks a button. Is there a way to set this up so that clicking a button will start the sound AND start the animation?? Sort of stuck here...

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Audio and animation on iPad?
          resdesign Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I suppose you could have your code for the animation included in your code for the play button. Since I do not know what the structure of your composition is, it is hard to give a precise answer.

• 2. Re: Audio and animation on iPad?
            jbowden Adobe Employee

Hi there,

No autoplay support for audio is a limitation of iOS.

There's no reason I can see that you couldn't control your animation playback and audio playback with the same button, though.

hth,

Joe

• 3. Re: Audio and animation on iPad?
              devel0per Level 1

That's what I was thinking, but, the audio button needs to live in the html page, yes? So, I'm not sure how that will start the audio and then potentially launch to another page to play the html5/Edge animation? There's no way to put the button inside the Edge animation is there? Or to pass a command to the Edge animation from the html button?

Basically, I've got a 2 minute Edge animation and a slightly longer audio file that need to play together (not synced, but roughly the same time). And, from my understanding, the button to cue the sound will have to be on the HTML page and I'm not sure how that will start the animation and play the sound if it can't interact with Edge.

Thanks for any help/direction.

• 4. Re: Audio and animation on iPad?
                Jacksoneon

I'm not sure if I understand, but, is the animation set to automatically play when you open it? Could you have a stop command in the Edge timeline at the beginning of the animation, and have the user click again activating a play and sound command?

• 5. Re: Audio and animation on iPad?
                  jbowden Adobe Employee

Jacksoneon wrote:

I'm not sure if I understand, but, is the animation set to automatically play when you open it? Could you have a stop command in the Edge timeline at the beginning of the animation, and have the user click again activating a play and sound command?

This is just how you'd do it - put the code to play both the timeline and the audio in the same button.

hth,

Joe

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Audio and animation on iPad?
                    devel0per Level 1

Thanks for the help! I ended up putting a stop at the beginning of the animation and, for some reason, didn't realize that I could put the code to play the animation and the audio on the same button until you mentioned it. Was stuck in the flash mindset where the swf and the html are 2 seperate pieces instead of everything being html.

Working great now!

Thanks!

• 7. Re: Audio and animation on iPad?
                      steph_sanglier

Hello,

I'm doing animation for DPS too.

But I d'ont know how to put a sound in a button, that is playing after in DPS for the iPad.

I try this code : $('<embed src="thunder.mp3" autostart="true" hidden="true" loop="false">').appendTo("#Stage");

that I find in an another discussion, but it daesn't work on the iPad

Thank you for your help

Steph

• 8. Re: Audio and animation on iPad?
                        penn11

Same here. I have code to play audio after clicking a button that works on every browser and android mobile except on an iPad. Is this a common problem? And is there a way to avoid this. Thanks for answering!

Dinant

• 9. Re: Audio and animation on iPad?
                          Murray Hutcherson

The talk about audio not playing automatically in iOS, and some of the speculations as to why this is, don't make sense to me. If I place an audio link directly on the page in InDesign and click Autoplay in the Overlay panel it plays automatically on the iPad just fine. It only fails to play when I have instead made the audio part of the Edge animation, so as to make it sync correctly with the visuals. The problem seems to me to be more of an issue with audio playing automatically inside an html animation. Maybe more clarification is needed. Adding a button is less than ideal, and hopefully unnecessary.