5 Replies Latest reply: Dec 10, 2012 4:29 PM by Vernox RSS

Searching previous folder

eubean525 Community Member

Hello,

Forgive me if this is an issue for Apple Mac but I'm going to ask here, as well, since it involves Illustrator. I have many nested folders pertaining to one job. (All the contents are Illustrator docs. No matter.) When searching for a previous document or a document within the same nested folder, I can't get Illustrator to immediately access the folder I'm working in. In my case, upon a new search, Illustrator resumes the search starting from the main folder that is nesting the folder I need to get to. Isn't there a way to have Illustrator search the folder where I opened a document   previously?

In the finder, I have the preferences set to search from the Current Folder. I've  tried all three preferences, including Search Previous Scope and Search This Mac. It remains the same.

Thank you,

Al

Search.png

• 1. Re: Searching previous folder
          [scott] Community Member

Uhmm.. Illustrator doesn't really search directories. How are you initiating this search within Illustrator?

• 2. Re: Searching previous folder

I have 12 documents in a nested folder. I am using "command O" to access any or all of those 12 documents. I am not leaving the program to do it (as in the finder's command F). I am simply accessing and reaccessing the documents through Illustrator's "open" command under the File menu. Despite the fact that I am opening documents from the same folder, each time I want to open one of the 12 documents (in case I've closed them) the search window opens up in the Main folder and I must rifle through the same sequence of nested folders to get back to the same spot (the nested folder with the 12 docs).

I don't have the same problem when opening PS documents when using Photoshop. That program's Command "O" brings me back to the folder from where I opened my last document.

Is there a simple preference that will bring me back directly to the folder I am using?

That's the simplest way I can describe it.

Thanks again.

• 3. Re: Searching previous folder
              [scott] Community Member

Oh that's an issue across the Mac. You might want to check out Default Folder X (http://www.stclairsoft.com/DefaultFolderX/index.html) it allows you to control open/save locations as well as other features. I've been using it for years becuase the Mac OS has been broken in these terms for many itterations.

• 4. Re: Searching previous folder

Thanks, I'll pursue that. What ever works, works.

Regards,

al

• 5. Re: Searching previous folder
                  Vernox Community Member

Default Folder X is the best solution, though I've found it a bit flaky with Adobe apps in OS 10.7 & 10.8.

Anybody remember Boomerang? That was the first of the flyback file system tools, back when Macs still had tan coloured cases.

Yours

Vern