Exit

RH10 and Windows 8 Bug with DHTML

Participant ,
Dec 10, 2012 Dec 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reported the following bug today:

Concise problem statement:

All DHTML effects in WebHelp—with the sole exception of drop-down and expanding hotspots—fail to execute on CLEAN Windows 8 systems (upgraded Windows 8 systems from Windows 7 do not seem to be affected), regardless of default browser.

Steps to reproduce bug:

1. Set up any DHTML effect other than drop-down or expanding.
    2. Save topic and click “View Selected Item”.
    3. The following script error is thrown: “Unable to get property ‘alpha’ of undefined or null reference” — the error points to the ehlpdhtm.js file (in my case, line 4233, char 2).

Results: No DHTML in the WebHelp output execute, with the exception of drop-down and expanding text.

Expected results: DHTML displays as developed (and yes, "Update DHTML effects in topics" was run). It is important to note that all these effects display as expected when run from a Windows 7 machine.

I noticed this after being forced to format and reinstall my system drive, on which I'd previously done an in-place upgrade to Windows 8. There was no issue unitl I'd done a clean install of the OS, implying that something carried over from the Windows 7 setup to prevent the error.

I've tested this against IE10, Firefox, and Chrome with the same results: DHTML effects (such as Fly-in) don't work and, worse, whatever the effect is attached to does not display.

If anyone else is having this issue, it would be good to report it. If anyone has a possible fix or workaround, I'll be glad to be a test monkey.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2013 Nov 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the exact same problem with Robohelp 9 on Windows 7. My error message says: The value of the property "TextPopupInit is null or undefined, not a Function object"

I click Yes to the question "Do you want to continue running scripts on this page" and the page previews fine. I open the page in a web browser, and it also works fine.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Lea

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 01, 2013 Dec 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Lea, I wouldn't hold my breath on this. As you can see, my original bug report was from a year ago and except for one dubious/mostly ineffective "update", Adobe has provided no solution to this or multiple other issues (including, over a year after it was released, Word 2013 compatibility).

Typically, Adobe wil issue an upgrade at value added that may address some issues and leave others in the dust. Sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp