I've found this resource that explains in detail what Larry mentioned above. http://vectips.com/tutorials/change-default-fonts-for-new-documents/
Hope this link can help you change your default typeface!
First do this for 10.7 and above
Then go to ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe Illustrator CS6/en_US/New Document Profiles and open the files you use most. For each profile you want to change, open Window>Type>Character Styles and double click the [Normal Character Style]. Change here to the desired font, size etc. Close and save the document.
Do this to each profile you want to change. There is also another copy of these files in the application package which are used to replace the ones in the user profile in case the Preferences are replaced.
Below is a step-by-step process for changing the default font in CS6, Illustrator, Mac, Mountain Lion, 10.8.2.
There are several additiional steps needed to make this work.
Please feel free to us this for other inquiries.
To Change Default Font in CS6-Ai-Mac-Mountain Lion, 10.8.2
- On desktop menu bar, hold down Option key, go to GO, pull down to Library.
- Open Application Support, ~ Adobe, ~ Adobe Illustrator CS6, ~ en_us ~ New Document Profiles
- Six choices appear (you can change each that you use, one at a time)
- Example: Double click Basic RGB.ai
- A Basic RGB.ai blank document window opens
- In Menu Bar, go to Window ~ Type ~ Character Styles
- A sub-window opens with (Normal Character Style) highlighted in Blue
- Double click the highlighted name and another sub-window opens
- In left of this window, choose Basic Character Formats
- Change to desired Font Family, Font Style, Size, etc.
- Click OK when finished, widow disappears to reveal Character Styles sub-window
- Click anywhere on the blank document in order to get option to Save
- Save the document
- Close Character Styles sub-window
- Quit Illustrator
- Re-launch Illustrator CS6 ~ New document … check Font tool to confirm changed default font
Hope this works for other "Lost Adobe Souls" like myself.