8 Replies Latest reply: Dec 12, 2012 6:33 AM by Noel Carboni RSS

problem using Dust and Scratches filter in Photoshop CS6

Steve C2 Community Member

Using the 64-bit extended CS6 version under Win 8/64.  Am I not using the filter correctly, or is this a limitation regarding its use?

I duplicate a layer and apply the filter.  I then add a white mask and invert it to get black.  I change the layer blending mode to either darken or lighten, depending on the requirements at hand.  I use the paint brush to remove the spotting and it works.  However, if I add a new layer and then go back to the Dust and Scratches layer, the paint brush further modify the layer.  I need to create a new layer and start all over again.

I am finding that if I convert the layer for smart filter use, I cannot use the paint brush.  The layer needs to be rasterized, again.

Thanks,

Steve

• 1. Re: problem using Dust and Scratches filter in Photoshop CS6
          Noel Carboni Community Member

Are you targeting the mask (by clicking on its icon) to inform Photoshop that you'd like to manipulate the mask?

-Noel

• 2. Re: problem using Dust and Scratches filter in Photoshop CS6

Hi Noel,

I've tried that, if you are referring to clicking on the mask before doing the brush work.

Thanks,

Steve

• 3. Re: problem using Dust and Scratches filter in Photoshop CS6

Yes.  Are you painting white on it?  Is the Brush Tool set to normal mode?

It would be helpful if you'd describe exactly what doesn't work.

-Noel

• 4. Re: problem using Dust and Scratches filter in Photoshop CS6

I am painting with a white brush - onto a black mask.  The purpose is to only apply the Dust and Scratches filter to specific areas.

The brushing will apply the filtered effects when I create the layer, apply the filter, and apply the black mask.  The brushing no longer works if I create a new layer and then return to the layer with the Dust and Scratches filter.  The problem is similar, I think, to if one were applying an effect with the history brush, close the file, and reopen it.  The history brush won't be helpful because the history is lost..  In this case of applying the filter to a layer with a mask, the history brush isn't used and I would have guessed that the layer would allow re-use of the filter and brush.

Steve

• 5. Re: problem using Dust and Scratches filter in Photoshop CS6

I haven't seen this problem nor heard of it reported here before.  Of course, that doesn't mean I don't believe you.

Photoshop is so modal that I can't help but think you have inadvertently set something that's causing you either not to paint the white that you think you are, or not see the results.

Could you please take a screenshot or two showing your entire Photoshop environment at the moment you're experiencing the problem?

Other options that come to mind are resetting the Brush Tool and/or possibly returning the entire Photoshop preferences set to defaults.

-Noel

• 6. Re: problem using Dust and Scratches filter in Photoshop CS6

Hi Noel,

Thanks for offering to help.  I was getting ready to prepare a screen shot by also showing history info on a fresh copy of the photo and, all of a sudden, I find that I am not having a problem.  What does this mean?  I'm not sure, yet.

The likely explanation is "user error.  If it recurs, though, I know to report it Adobe since at this point, the feedback from you is that my problem is not normal Photoshop behavior and I've demonstrated that I can get the filter to work.

Steve

• 7. Re: problem using Dust and Scratches filter in Photoshop CS6

I just went back to the original photo that I was having trouble with.  I think that the problem is related to something I did.  I had originally duplicated layers with alt-ctl-shift-E.  This will freeze all of the layers below the top layer.  The new file, where I don't do this, allows me to continue to alter the layers with brush work in any order and as many times as I choose.

• 8. Re: problem using Dust and Scratches filter in Photoshop CS6

Ah, it was something simple.

Control-Shift-Alt-E causes a new layer to be created by merging the pixels from all layers below into a new 100% opaque layer of pixels.  Thus any changes you make on layers below will be eclipsed by the new layer.

If you want to make changes yet keep the same document structure, generally speaking you have to delete the previously merged layer, make your layer changes (which you would now be able to see) and do the Control-Shift-Alt-E merge again.

-Noel