5 Replies Latest reply: Dec 11, 2012 9:20 PM by leon verde RSS

Hebrew text placement missing characters

leon verde

When placing text into ID CS6 (8.0) from an RTF file created in Davka Writer 7, I get a lot of pink boxes, all vowels AFAICS. This happens whether I use the ME version or InTools, and on both Windows and Mac. Anyone else had to deal with this?

• 1. Re: Hebrew text placement missing characters
          Dov Isaacs Employee Hosts

DavkaWriter is somewhat of a strange beast in terms of its character set, which if memory serves me correctly, is not fully compliant with Unicode which InDesign is based upon, although their RTF export should be doing a conversion to Unicode since Word also uses Unicode.

Another possibility is that the Hebrew font that you are using in your InDesign document simply doesn't have the nikkud glyphs or has them mapped someplace other than where one would expect them to be.

Bottom line, it would appear to be a character code or glyph mapping problem or a missing glyph problem.

- Dov

• 2. Re: Hebrew text placement missing characters

DavkaWriter is somewhat of a strange beast in terms of its character set, which if memory serves me correctly, is not fully compliant with Unicode which InDesign is based upon, although their RTF export should be doing a conversion to Unicode since Word also uses Unicode.

Another possibility is that the Hebrew font that you are using in your InDesign document simply doesn't have the nikkud glyphs or has them mapped someplace other than where one would expect them to be.

Bottom line, it would appear to be a character code or glyph mapping problem or a missing glyph problem.

- Dov

• 3. Re: Hebrew text placement missing characters
              leon verde Community Member

I think you are exactly right that it is a mapping problem, but it's a puzzling one. The RTF generated by Davka Writer shows up perfectly in Word (on Windows--the Mac has its own problems which I'll leave aside for now). So all the glyphs, including the nikud, are there and are found and correctly displayed by Word.

When the file is placed into an ID document, however, many of the nikud are missing. I have been searching for a work-around with no success so far. Is there some setting in InDesign ME that handles the way text is handled under the "place" command?

We have a 500 page book to lay out, and really don't want to re-type all the Hebrew text, of which there is a lot!

--Leon

• 4. Re: Hebrew text placement missing characters

Try one extra step. Open the RTF in Microsoft Word on Windows and then resave the file as RTF and bring that into InDesign, or try copying and pasting from Word into InDesign.

- Dov

• 5. Re: Hebrew text placement missing characters
                  leon verde Community Member

Dov--

Wow, that seems to do it. I'll have to fool around with it some more to

make sure, but I get a sense of what's going on. There seem to be a number

of Hebrew fonts with similar names but different encodings, some with nikud

and some without, and apparently Word can somehow tell which one will work

best and does a substitution.

Many thanks for your help. It looks as though this is going to work, so we

will probably upgrade from the trial ID ME version (we already use the US

CS6 ID for books that don't have much Hebrew in them).

I'll post this to the forum when I get a chance.

Bill Donahue

Green Lion Press