9 Replies Latest reply: Sep 24, 2013 1:41 PM by BarbBinder RSS

Bullets and numbering

community help Community Member

This question was posted in response to the following article: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/indesign/cs/using/WSa285fff53dea4f8617383751001ea8cb3f-6da6a.h tml

• 1. Re:  Bullets and numbering
          S_BA2009 Community Member

I've got a long story that flows over several pages in a scientific publication. There are several figures in the story, each with a caption as a numbered list (eg Table 1). There's one table (say Table 5) that goes over an entire spread, so the thread skips over this page and continues after. How do I get this table (#5) to number correctly? It's numbered last, after the tables on subsequent pages.

• 2. Re:  Bullets and numbering
            Michael Gianino Community Member

I'm not sure I follow. Can you give a screenshot?

• 3. Re:  Bullets and numbering

Hi Michael, thanks for the response.

Here it is:

Screen Shot 2012-12-11 at 22.53.48.jpg

The table in question is on the rotated spread skipped by the threads. It should be numbered sequentially after the tables on the previous pages and before the ones coming after - at the moment #5. InD numbers it after the last one in the story, #27. I've tried inserting a very small "dummy" text box on the rotated page, through which the thread flows (without actually displaying text). I guess the solution must be something in that direction, but I haven't gotten it to work.

• 4. Re:  Bullets and numbering

Numbering, as it's used in the Bullets and Numbering featurre, is really just a placeholder that InDesign fills in with a number based on what you tell it. I imagine that your numbering field looks something like this:

Screen shot 2012-12-12 at 2.51.08 AM.png

For your layout to work, you would need a live text frame on the rotated page, not a dummy, and it needs to be in the same story. I can't tell from your screenshot how the numbering on the rotated spread is done, but there should be a thread from which ever text frame has Figure 4, and an out-thread to the frame that is supposed to have Figure 6.

• 5. Re:  Bullets and numbering

I've got a solution that works, but it's not really pretty. (Well, graphically it's pretty, but not in a content design sense!):

Screen Shot 2012-12-12 at 11.10.19.jpg

The text thread flows from the previous spread (with a page break character) with enough space for the title of the table. Then it flows to the next spread. The table is numbered sequentially after the tables before.

Advantage: it works.

Why I think it's not pretty: I have about a paragraph of space on the previous page, so normal editing and redacting is probably not goint to shift the text around enough to cause the table caption to bump to the next page ... but it might. And so I have to go back to this page to check. With about a 1000 page textbook on physics, this means I have to check a lot of tables and figures.

Any ideas?

• 6. Re:  Bullets and numbering

Are the caption and the table in the same story? I'm trying to understand what advantage there would be to have the table in a separate or different text frame from the story that contains the captions, but I can't see what that advantage might be. Could you explain (just for my own curiosity, and having nothing to do with this particular problem).

If the caption and the table were in the same story, you could set the keep options of the paragraph style of the caption to stay on the same page with the table. That way, you would never have a table move to a different page without taking the caption with it.

• 7. Re:  Bullets and numbering

No, the caption and table are not in the same story. I guess there's no real reason not to put them in the main story, but because the table spans two text boxes and is rotated, it's easier to handle when by itself.

Normally my captions keep with their tables, but I don't want the table to move to another page.

• 8. Re:  Bullets and numbering
                        Willi Adelberger CommunityMVP

I see several posiblities as a solution:

1. Make a small text frame on the spread, containing one paragraph, anchor the whole table to this paragraph.

Or, better:

1. Create a text frame with a paragraph which coninues the numbering. This must have the same list. The text can be without colour, anchor the text frame in the correct place in the main text thread.

2. In the table numbering don't use automatic numbering, but use a cross-reference which reads only the number and uses this number. When numbers are updated due to changes in the document this number is actualized automatically.

• 9. Re:  Bullets and numbering
                          BarbBinder Community Member

Still confused about working with numbered paragraphs in InDesign? Check out this tutorial on numbering chapter titles, subheads, tables and figures: http://blog.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-indesign-numbering-chapters-subheads-tables-fi gures/

Barb Binder, Adobe Certified Instructor on InDesign

http://www.RockyMountainTraining.com