5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2012 12:02 PM by gener7

converting ink drawing to bitmap

duane

Hello. I am a comic artist and so scan a lot of black and white line work. The company I am working for want me to send my scanned black and white pages in bitmap mode instead of grayscale. The problem I am having is my line work is becoming very pixelated when converting to bitmap. Is there anything I can do to fix this problem.

Program- Photoshop CS6

Thanks very much for your help.

Regards

Duane

• 1. Re: converting ink drawing to bitmap
          c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

The problem I am having is my line work is becoming very pixelated when converting to bitmap.

Have you scanned at the appropriate size and resolution?

If not upscaling and Filtering the grayscale image prior to conversion might help somewhat.

Bitmap (1bit) makes sense because unlike grayscale images they can utilize the printing device’s full resolution.

• 2. Re: converting ink drawing to bitmap
            duane Level 1

Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure. What would be the appropriate size and resolution. I usually scan 8bit 300dpi I am trying to convert to bitmap 300dpi. Size of drawings scanned at about 10" x 15" to be reduced to around 6.6" x 10".

Is there some kind of formula I should be following?

Thanks again for your help.

• 3. Re: converting ink drawing to bitmap
              c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

A 1bit bitmap in final (printed) size should usually have about 1200ppi.

• 4. Re: converting ink drawing to bitmap
                emil emil Level 4

Scan it at the highest resolution your scanner can sample. Reduce the size using Image > Image Size with the Resample Image option unchecked. In grayscale mode adjust the contrast with image adjustments like Levels, Curves, etc. Next use Threshold adjustment, and then convert to bitmap. Depending on the artwork you may need to apply the contrast, and threshold adjustments locally. If you don't have prior experience with this it will be hard for you to use only  the monitor for proper feedback of the detail you are creating.  You have to print the image in order to evaluate the detail. If you have a desktop printer print at its highest dpi otherwise go to a copy shop that can print from a file on a printer with 1200 x 1200 dpi. There are a lot of low price desktop laser printer that can print with this dpi.

• 5. Re: converting ink drawing to bitmap
                  gener7 Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In addition to the other suggestions here,

This article on converting line drawings to bitmap is targeted specifically to comics artists.

http://www.netplaces.com/cartooning/processing-final-art-for-print/preparing-line-art-for- print.htm

Give that a shot,adjust as needed. For some a Threshold of 128 is better.

And the final bit of advice: While it looks jagged on the screen, it will print out perfectly. Don't go by screen appearance.

While the article specs 600 dpi, best advice is 1200 dpi.