2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2012 2:19 PM by mellink

Can I plot a line chart which changes over time with a pre recorded video in AE?

mellink

Hi all,

What I have is a data file with time, x,y and z data. and a video file.

What I need to do is plot this data in line chart (3 lines) and play the video in the background. So that the data matches with the video.

So what I see is : a vide with a line chart with 3 difference coloured lines which moves across the screen with time.

I hope this makes sense and is it possible? I would say my AE experience is limited, but i'm decent with code and happy to research myself, but im coming up with allot of tutorials that have you manually plotting the points which isn't going to work for the amount of data I have.

Thanks Rob

• 1. Re: Can I plot a line chart which changes over time with a pre recorded video in AE?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Short and sweet answer: Export your graphs as an image from Excel/ EasyStat / Mathematica or whatever you are using, then reveal it with a linear wipe that's timed to the video. Export each data sample plot as a separate element if need be, so you can animate them separately. If your software supports it, you could also export an SVG or Illustrator file, open it in Illustrator and copy&paste the path from there to AE as a mask or shape layer and apply a stroke effect which you animate. Many ways to skin a cat. Just don't get wound up on trying to be über-exact. 1920x1080 pixels is not that much for data graphics... And of course you can spend a few weeks cooking up compelx expressiosn and scripts to parse your data natively and dynamically draw it with an effect like Write-On, but unless you need to do that 20 times a day for the next 5 years it hardly seems worth the effort.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Can I plot a line chart which changes over time with a pre recorded video in AE?
            mellink Level 1

Thanks. Time to fire up matlab I guess then :-)