10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2012 9:19 AM by ASB Kent

ICC profile problems

ASB Kent Level 1

I have upgrades from Elements 10 to 11 and also updated my printer to an Epson R3000 I am trying to change the ICC profile but it just defaults to sRGBIEC61966-2.1 and wont take a new profile. After selecting a new profile closing colour management and going back in it has defaulted to the original setting. Even when having printed a photo. Can anyone help with this issue or experienced the same problem.

• 1. Re: ICC profile problems
          99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Open an Image in expert mode and use the menu:

Image >> Convert Color Profile

• 2. Re: ICC profile problems
            ASB Kent Level 1

Hi Thank you for your reply. I have changed the colour profile to Adoobe RGB and have tried to set my pronter profile but its still defaulting to sRGBIEC61966-2.1 I still cant seem to select an alternative printer profile without it defaulting. 

• 3. Re: ICC profile problems

Make sure your color settings are correct or that you don’t have “No Color Management” selected. Go to Edit >> Color Settings

Choose “Always Optimize for Printing” and click OK

Then open an image and click File >> Print

Then click the More Options button and choose Color Management

Ensure the top dropdown is set to “Photoshop Elements Manages Color”

You can select your media type from the Printer Profile dropdown.

I find Rendering Intent is best set to Perceptual.

N.B. When Elements manages color in conjunction with your chosen profile it’s essential to turn off color management in the print driver.

• 4. Re: ICC profile problems
                ASB Kent Level 1

Hi thank you so much for your help. I have checked and re-checked the settings and followed your helpful instructions the situation is the same. I think now that perhaps I'll uninstall the software re-load 10 and then the update for 11. I can't think of anything else to do unless it's a glitch in the software installed on my computer.

• 5. Re: ICC profile problems

If you saved your image after converting the profile mentioned in my firsy posting, it should automatically show up.

Are you not seeing this?

profile.png

• 6. Re: ICC profile problems
                    ASB Kent Level 1

Hi yes, I am seeing the above. I am using Permajet paper and they have a specific printer profile. I have the profile in the drop down box and select it. after printing an image I check the colour management and its defaulted to the sRGB profile. I therefore feel, that the printer is printing on the sRGB profile and not the selected Permajet profile. I have a mate who has the same printer using elements 9 and when he has selected a printer profile it continues to be set and does no default back to something else.

• 7. Re: ICC profile problems

You have turned off color management in the printer?

• 8. Re: ICC profile problems
                        ASB Kent Level 1

Yes made sure that's turned off . I am pretty sure I have followed all the instructions and your advice.

• 9. Re: ICC profile problems

Try turning off the printer and going to:

Start >> Control Panel >>Printers. Then right click on the Epson Stylus Photo R3000 and choose Printing Preferences

This is where you set the overall default. It may not stick so you possibly have to check each time you print.

• 10. Re: ICC profile problems
                            ASB Kent Level 1

Hi I have now tired that too I think I just have to select the profile each time I print.

I think as its getting on today will have another look at this tomorrow as I am sure I will tend to forget to check this each time I print, anyway, thank you for your help and I have also looked at the colour management tab in the printer properties and tried changing the default settings but this seems to have no effect either. Anyway a another day and a nights sleep may provide a "light bulb" moment.