12 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2012 2:07 PM by the_wine_snob

Shifting Graphics

Jeff We38

I am working on a project in PrE10 and I am trying to update a company logo.  On a previous version I had the logo in the lower right corner of the screen.  I have tried resizing a white box to cover and also covering with new graphic.  Once it is in place I render video and in the final product my graphic has shifted into the black to the right of my video.  I am betting there is a setting I am missing here.  Do I need to create the graphic in Photoshop properly positioned to avoid the shift?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Shifting Graphics
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

" I have tried resizing a white box to cover and also covering with new graphic.  Once it is in place I render video and in the final product my graphic has shifted into the black to the right of my video."

Not sure what you're saying, Jeff.

Are you saying that you covered up your logo with a graphic but, when you output your video, the graphic was off to the side and not on your logo?

If so, what format, codec and resolution is your original video in? And which project settings did you select when you set up your Premiere Elements project?

• 2. Re: Shifting Graphics
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Also, what is the format of that logo graphic?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Shifting Graphics
              Jeff We38 Level 1

Steve, first thank you for the help.  I have to say I am not very savvy on codec and have created a custom codec of the HD 720p 25 setting to try to reduce the size of my files without losing a lot of quality.  Our IT department requires us to keep file sizes under 60mb but my boss insist I stick with WMV files. 

I have reduced the average bitrate to 1,725.45 but am not really sure how far off the standard setting that is.

To answer your question, yes I am trying to place a new graphic over an existing to replace an old logo. The video is a training video which I cut into three separate sections.  Covering the old logo worked on two of the three sections.  If this is a codec problem should I redo that section using a preset codec?

This of course leads to another question which is how do I reduce file size and maintain decent video quality?  Do I need to convince my boss to switch to a new format.  He likes WMV because they are easy to download and play on other computers. 

• 4. Re: Shifting Graphics
                Jeff We38 Level 1

I used a JPG and a PNG and it did the same thing on both.

• 5. Re: Shifting Graphics

I'm still not quite clear what type of video you're loading into Premiere Elements, Jeff. Are you saying that the original video, with the logo on it, is a 1280x720 WMV file?

• 6. Re: Shifting Graphics
                    Jeff We38 Level 1

Yes.  Originally I had adjusted the Bitrate to reduce file size.  I just reedited the video from scratch and created new graphics in both JPG and PNG.  I rendered the video using the preset HD 720 25 setting and I am still having the issue. 

Is there a setting to lock something into place once it has been resized and moved into place around the frame.

• 7. Re: Shifting Graphics

But what format of video did you start with? And which project settings did you select when you started your Premiere Elements project?

These are the key questions. There are some formats and project settings in which elements are known to shift, and I'm trying to determine if yours is one of them.

• 8. Re: Shifting Graphics
                        Jeff We38 Level 1

I used the default settings to set up the project which is NTSC-DV-Standard 48Hz.  The original video I am editing is Frame width 640 Height 480 data rate 680kbps and 793kbps Bitrate.  Audio bitrate is 113 kbps.  File size is 46.2 Mb.  Could this be an issue with a ratio setting?  BTW, thanks for your patience Steve.  I really appreciate it.

• 9. Re: Shifting Graphics
                          Jeff We38 Level 1

1,280 x 720

• 10. Re: Shifting Graphics

But what format of video is it!!?

How did you create this video? What three letter suffix follows the file name?

• 11. Re: Shifting Graphics
                              Jeff We38 Level 1

Sorry, that got lost in my second or third response and I thought you had seen it.  WMV, I was asking if there is a better format for playing on a PC.

• 12. Re: Shifting Graphics
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

WMV is a good choice for Export/Sharing/Publishing, for playback on a PC. However, it is not a good format for editing, as it takes a lot of CPU horsepower to process.

Just a guess on my part, but I would say that there is a mis-match between your Source Files, your Project Preset, and possibly the logo graphic file.

What are the full specs. of your Source Files (more info the better)?

What are the Project's specs., chosen at New Project?

What are the pixel x pixel dimensions, and the PAR (Pixel Aspect Ratio) of your logo graphics, say the PNG version?

Finally, what are the full specs. of your Export/Share/Publish settings?

When one has movement with a Clip, or Still Image, it is often related to not matching the Project's Frame Size, or its PAR. However, if one is, say down-rezzing the Project to another Aspect Ratio, or PAR, there can be issues too.

Good luck,

Hunt