0 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2006 2:28 AM by Hagster

CFID  basic question

Hello all,
      Basic question here about CFID. Sorry long description, but better descriptions help.

My scenario is as :
      I have a shop floor application that needs to print multiple labes and an A4 page at the same time. Each Client has access to three label printers (networked) and its own local A4 laser printer.
      A user will open up a page and click ok, this page will auto print to the clients local printer using,
      function printpage(v)
      // v = 6 = print
      // v = 7 = print preview
      var w = '<OBJECT ID="x" WIDTH=0 HEIGHT=0 CLASSID="CLSID:8856F961-340A-11D0-A96B-00C04FD705A2"></OBJECT>';
      document.body.insertAdjacentHTML('beforeEnd', w);
      x.outerHTML = "";
      <body onLoad="printpage(6);" >

The same page writes three text files to the server containing printer commands and label information.
      Also writes a batch file to the server that contains the DOS commands to print the three text files to there relevant printes.
      And finally calls the batch file so that the three text files get dumped to there printers.

Result is the user gets an A4 data sheet and three labels all at the same time from one page and does not have to click any print buttons.

This has been working for about 3 years now but all of a sudden its gone wrong.

I have 9 clients all doing this all day long and to identify which client is printing what information to which networked printer I write the text files and batch files with the client CFID number.
      For example
      Client with cfid 6097
      Writes three files called 6097a.txt, 6097b.txt, 6097c.txt and then calls 6097.bat which dumps these three files to there printers.

the batch file is made up of three lines
      copy "c:\mypath\6097a.txt" \\ST_MT752\ECSTORES1
      copy "c:\mypath\6097b.txt" \\ST_MT752\ECSTORES2
      copy "c:\mypath\6097c.txt" \\ST_MT752\ECSTORES3

The Computer and printer names are stored in a database agist the clients CFID which i set up at the beginning 3 years ago.

This has always worked but just of latley when turning the clients on each morning a few of them have had differant CFID's and therefore not been able to get there computer name and share printer name from the database.

I though a clients CFID was perminant ?
      if not have i just been lucky for 3 years with all my clients keeping the same CFID?
      Can the CFID change every new session? or client power on ?

Regards Guy