6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2012 10:23 AM by areohbee

Nikon Capture NX or Camera Raw

sergtomas

Using Nikon Capture NX, Camera Raw best for photos?

• 1. Re: Nikon Capture NX or Camera Raw
          areohbee Level 6

Consider clarifying your question.

Are you asking if ACR is better than NX2?

If so, I'd say in many ways: yes; in other ways: no.

Rob

• 2. Re: Nikon Capture NX or Camera Raw
            Yammer Level 4

I ditched Capture NX years ago because it was much slower on my computer. I was having to wait seconds for preview updates, where CR was instantaneous. No competition. I haven't tried it recently, but then I'm very happy with CR, which has evolved in all the right ways.

I am finding CR slower at the moment, but then I'm probably due for a hardware upgrade soon. I'll keep putting this off as long as possible, but software developers have this way of forcing your hand ;-)

• 3. Re: Nikon Capture NX or Camera Raw
              oli.die

ACR has the better workflow. By far. There's only one problem that I can't manage in ACR: bright blue light. Whenever this comes up I have to fire up NX2. Luckily this does not happen too often. The attached exemple was made during CS5 days. CS6 still hast the same problem.
              cs5_nx2.jpg

• 4. Re: Nikon Capture NX or Camera Raw
                areohbee Level 6

oli.die wrote:

...bright blue light...

Does this happen regardless of camera profile chosen? - consider bringing this to Adobe's attention (e.g. Eric Chan) independently (e.g. new thread here, or adobe feedback site), if you haven't already.

• 5. Re: Nikon Capture NX or Camera Raw
                  oli.die Level 1

Rob Cole schrieb:

Does this happen regardless of camera profile chosen? - consider bringing this to Adobe's attention (e.g. Eric Chan) independently (e.g. new thread here, or adobe feedback site), if you haven't already.

No, I have not brought this to Adobe's attention but I will now. I have always used the latest Process (2010 CS5 OR 2012 CS6) und Adobe Standard camera profil. Will check again.

Thanks!

• 6. Re: Nikon Capture NX or Camera Raw
                    areohbee Level 6

Indeed different profiles have different ways of handling things, especially at the extremes - especially when one or more channels is clipped.

In addition to comparing profile behavior, consider the point curve in ACR - @Lr4 we can now reshape the curves on a channel by channel basis, and that way fix many of these types of problems - admittedly such changes may need to be done uniquely for each photo.

And of course if (Adobe Standard) profile needs a tweak for handling such end cases, Adobe may be open to that... - if not for older cameras (in which case such a tweak might change the appearance of already-edited photos), at least for newer ones.

R