4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2012 4:00 PM by George Comninos

Can you use Scout with the mobile emulator?

simon.oconnor Level 1

Obviously it's not ideal to use the emulator and scout vs running it on an actual device. But sometimes I work remotely (as in today), and so I can't interact with a physical device sitting on my desk in the office. So I use the emulator. And I thought this would work well, because while the screen updates over remote desktop are not smooth, the results within Scout would be impartial to that, and so I could continue to optimise based on figures from Scout.

However, when I run my app within the emulator, it doesn't appear in Scout.

Is this possible or not?

• 1. Re: Can you use Scout with the mobile emulator?
          imbert.thibault Adobe Employee

Hi Simon,

Yes, I understand people would expect it to work on the emulator too, but the point of Scout is really to provide you information about the real performance (on the device and in production) to be really accurate and reflect the reality.

Having it work with the emulator would always be an approximation, which could still maybe be valuable, but we thought we would focus on production code.

But thanks for bringing this up, it is valuable feedback about your experience.

Thibault Imbert

Sr. Product Manager | Adobe Scout

• 2. Re: Can you use Scout with the mobile emulator?
            George Comninos Adobe Employee

Hi Simon, I'm not sure which emulator you are referring to exactly, but it actually does work with the iOS Simulator as well as the AIR simulator (using adl). Select "On iOS Simulator" or "On AIR Simulator" in the launch method in your launch configuration is Flash Builder, and it should work. Make sure you have detailed telemetry enabled for the project. If you meant the Android emulator, it works with that as well, just package with  apk-emulator or apk-debug and it should work. With the iOS simulator as well as the Android emulator, make sure you run the Scout companion app on the emulator first and connect to your desktop machine running Scout.

hope that helps,

-george

• 3. Re: Can you use Scout with the mobile emulator?
              simon.oconnor Level 1

Ahh, well I had been trying the Android just via the FB simulator, and that doesn't work. Hadn't tried doing it via running it in the Android emulator with scout, I can see how that would work, but seems like extra steps to run each time.

I'm just now installing air sdk 3.5 so I can use the ios simulator

• 4. Re: Can you use Scout with the mobile emulator?
                George Comninos Adobe Employee

The FB simulator should work also, just make sure you are using a runtime that is supported.