3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2012 8:33 AM by RjL190365

End of life of the 1155 Platform

Harm Millaard Level 7

The possible details on Intel's next generation processors for desktop are published on the internet. A Chinese website published the probable names and specifications of the new Core processors, codenamed Haswell.

Intel would initially release fourteen Haswell processors, including six with a standard operating voltage and TDP of 84W and eight more economical variants with TDP of 65W, 45W and 35W. Among the Haswell processors with standard operating voltage are two K processors, with freely adjustable multiplier. The default clock speeds range from 3GHz to 3.5GHz and all six processors have four cores, but only the two Core i7's have HyperThreading and 8MB cache instead of 6MB.

The economical variants have clock speeds of 2 GHz to 3.1 GHz and two or four cores with and without HyperThreading. The first group consists of five Core i5 processors and three i7's. The most economical i7, i7-4765T, has been clocked at 2GHz with a TDP of 35W. The other 35W processor is the i5-4570T, which are low tdp get by on only two cores available.

All Haswell processors available, according to the specifications that the Chinese site VR-Zone published, have two-channel memory controller for DDR3 1600MHz memory, a HD 4600 GPU in the integrated and turbo functionality. The Haswell generation is not compatible with current motherboards for Sandy and Ivy Bridge processors: a motherboard with socket lga1150 is needed and delivers new Intel chipsets. The new generation should appear in the first half of 2013.

Haswell-lineup: klik voor een grotere versie

Just to inform you.

• 1. Re: End of life of the 1155 Platform
          RjL190365 Level 4

Harm,

It may also be the beginning of the end for economical platforms with user-upgradable CPUs. From rumours that I read, the successor to Haswell will not offer socketed CPUs at all (in the mainstream form). Instead, the CPUs will be permanently soldered onto the motherboards. (Though Intel itself has not confirmed these rumours - at least not yet.) If those rumours hold true, then it would also be the beginning of the end for even a remotely affordable build-it-yourself PC, as the cheapest build-it-yourself PC might then cost far more money than even the most expensive current HP or Apple workstation - and anything that would be even remotely affordable would then be specced all too close to one another (extremely low performance, unsuitable for even media playback use, let alone video editing). I dread the day when we would have to spend tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of dollars just to buy into a platform with even the least expensive upgradable CPU.

Now that would definitely be the beginning of the end for desktop PCs as we know it.

Likewise, Ivy Bridge-E (to be introduced some time in 2013) will mark the end of the line for (and thus end of life of) the current LGA 2011 platform. It is currently unknown which CPUs will be available. But from rumours I read, it might be available only in its stratosperically expensive i7 Extreme form, which means a minimum cost of more than $1000 just for the CPU itself. There will likely be no economical $300-ish quad-core version of Ivy Bridge-E, and there might not even be a $600-range CPU in that series.

• 2. Re: End of life of the 1155 Platform
            Jim_Simon Level 9

In late November 2012 it was falsely rumored that Broadwell CPUs would only be sold together with a motherboard, already mounted using BGA in place. Responding to such rumors that Intel was abandoning the PC enthusiast market, spokesman Daniel Snyder clarified that Intel "will continue to offer socketed parts in the LGA package for the foreseeable future."

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/intel_says_company_committed_sockets2012

• 3. Re: End of life of the 1155 Platform
              RjL190365 Level 4

Jim,

Thanks for that. I remember that Intel had refuted it. Now, the BGA CPUs on desktop-sized boards may very well be restricted to OEMs (with socketed parts continuing to be offered to system builders).

Back to LGA 2011: Its Haswell-derived successor to Ivy Bridge-E will also use a physically different socket (the specifics of which Intel has yet to disclose) from Sandy Bridge-E or Ivy Bridge-E, as well as require an entirely new chipset just to even function.