13 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2006 11:12 AM by Newsgroup_User

problem trying to edit a page

Bee//Newcastle
      I have a trial version of Contribute to ***** using it for one of our major clients. I have set myself up as the adminstrator and linked to the site okay. but when I try to edit a page I get the following message
      'You can't edit this page because Belinda is editing it' but I am the only one set up to edit the page?
      what is happening to stop me doing anything.
      I only have 6 days left on my trial. so if someone could help asap I would appreciate it.
      regards
      Belinda
        • 1. Re: problem trying to edit a page
          arao2k6 Level 2
          Hi ,

You might have used Belinda as the username while editing this particular page and have not published the same.. Have you used contribute on 2 systems and have edited the page as Belinda and left it in draft mode ?

To make sure if this is the case, see if you find a page with .LCK in your website.

eg: mypage.htm.LCK

Please let me know if this helped .
          • 2. Re: problem trying to edit a page
            Bee//Newcastle Level 1
            Thanks,
            I think I have solved the problem with your help.
            Many thanks for such a prompt response.
            kind regards
            Belinda
            • 3. Re: problem trying to edit a page
              Sootica
              I am having the same problem as listed here. The difference is that I am the new webmaster for a foundation's website, and the Contribute license was just transferred over to me. The name listed is the old administrator's name. I have deleted her as administrator, and added myself, but still get the message and am unable to actually make any changes to the site. Am very frustrated at this point.
              • 4. problem trying to edit a page
                Sootica Level 1
                Actually, I should have also said that right now I can't see any files with .LCK in their names.
                • 5. Re: problem trying to edit a page
                  Sootica Level 1
                  An update. From another post on the same issue, I realized that I had to use FTP to look at the files, I did that, found and deleted ten .LCK files. I've looked several times, and cannot find any others, but I'm still getting the same message. This is really frustrating and annoying.
                  • 6. Re: problem trying to edit a page
                    Sootica Level 1
                    Well, a final update, in case this comes up in the future. At the time I took over the site, just a few weeks ago, our web-hosting company had just migrated the site to a new platform. At that time, some ftp server changes should have been made in Contribute, but the person before me had quit, and I didn't know about that aspect when I took over. I thought that the previou person had done all the changes needed. So when I used ftp to look at the files and remove the .LCK files, I was using the new ftp settings, but Contribute was using the old ftp settings and apparently the site was still there also. So although I'd removed them all from the new site, Contribute was connecting to the old one, and still finding those files. A very patient smart guy at tech support helped me with this yesterday.
                    • 7. Re: problem trying to edit a page
                      amadas Level 1
                      Hi Sootica,

So you were actually looking and deleting LCK files of different FTP Server and you see the same message.

I guess that should be the first step :)

Thanks for the response that your problem is solved.

- Arun
                      • 8. Re: problem trying to edit a page
                        Sootica Level 1
                        Yes, that's exactly it. If we hadn't made our transition at the time of the migration to the new platform, we would have figured it out more quickly. And you'd think that the person at tech support for my web hosting company might have thought of that when I called a couple of days before that, but just said it couldn't be a server problem.
                        • 10. Re: problem trying to edit a page
                          arao2k6 Level 2
                          Good to hear that the problem is solved ,Sootica :-)
                          • 12. Re: problem trying to edit a page
                            Mr_Meehan Level 1
                            Hello.
                            I too have a frustrating and annoying contribute problem. The system keeps telling me that there is an "unpublished draft" and I can't administer my sites. Also, if I try to edit the sites, I am told that I "cannot edit this page because I am already editing it on another computer", which I am not. I have deleted .lck files on both sites that I have, to no avail. They seem to come back each time I try to edit the stes. I am the only person who has ever accessed my sites, and used this contribute program. I am at my wits end. Please help. Thanks, Andy
                            • 13. Re: problem trying to edit a page
                              Level 7
                              Hello Mr Meehan,

Try deleting the .LCK file for the particular page. Refer the thread with
                              "problem trying to edit a page".

-Avinash

> Hello.
                              > I too have a frustrating and annoying contribute problem. The system
                              > keeps
                              > telling me that there is an "unpublished draft" and I can't
                              > administer my
                              > sites. Also, if I try to edit the sites, I am told that I "cannot edit
                              > this page because I am already editing it on another computer", which
                              > I am not. I have deleted .lck files on both sites that I have, to no
                              > avail. They seem to come back each time I try to edit the stes. I am
                              > the only person who has ever accessed my sites, and used this
                              > contribute program. I am at my wits end. Please help. Thanks, Andy
                              >