3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2012 1:35 PM by conroy

Rendering problems with video clips in Photoshop CS six

JohnEPappas

I edited a 125 MB ( 23 seconds, 691frames) .MOV clip in CS6. I applied sharpening and contrast adjustments, flattened the layers and rendered as a .MOV output file. The finished file is a clip that is 4.6 GB, far too big to play properly in QuickTime!

Settings were:

---QuickTime format

---Animation high-quality

---document size 1920 x 1080

This seems ridiculously big. Even the Animation Medium Quality setting produces a file approximately the same size. I've also tried saving as an .MP4 file with the YouTube HD setting and this produces a more reasonable file (23 MB), but it does not save any of my edits.

I am using a Dell laptop running Windows Vista, 32. I have 4 GB of onboard RAM.

One of the reasons for upgrading to CS6 was for its advertised video capabilities. So far I've been very disappointed with what I've been able to accomplish with this software.

---John P

• 1. Re: Rendering problems with video clips in Photoshop CS six
          Curt Y Level 7

There are huge differences in file size with different renderning options.  Photoshop is primairily a photo editing program.  If you have much video you are best served to buy a video editing program.  There are always trade offs between file size and quality, but I found I had to test each format, do a frame capture and compare quality vs size to come up with best fit for me.

• 2. Re: Rendering problems with video clips in Photoshop CS six
            JohnEPappas Level 1

Thanks. I have been testing different formats. I'm still curious as to why the size of a clip rendered under a "standard" setting would have ballooned to such a size. Photoshop CS6 was marketed as the ideal solution for photographers who take occasional video clips. That was one of the compelling sales points that caused me to upgrade. I would think there is a pretty large demand for people like me who want to apply Photoshop corrections to video clips and maybe even combine them into a short video without buying Premiere Pro or Premier Elements. Has anyone else experience problems using the video editing options in CS 6? If so, have they discovered settings that may give the optimum result while still retaining the edits?

• 3. Re: Rendering problems with video clips in Photoshop CS six
              conroy Level 5

The thing that puzzles me is your edits not being rendered to video. If I import a .mov, edit it then render to a new video, MP4 1024 x 768 for example, then the edited video is output. Photoshop cannot output my unedited video unless I undo the edits before rendering.