6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2012 8:58 PM by the_wine_snob

Only one HD Movie Menus in PRE 11?

jammin109 Level 1

I finally finished my 40 minute HD vacation video and burned in to Blu-ray.  In the process I shocked that there was only one HD movie menu available in PR 11 (The "Pan and Zoom" template in the  "Slide Shows" category.)  While it worked fine, I would prefer to have more choices.  Is there a "plug in" or way to get more HD menus?  I seem to remember many more HD templates in earlier versions of PRE.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Only one HD Movie Menus in PRE 11?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You're right. Only one template is truly HD. Which is kind of ridiculous.

For what it's worth, it's also the easiest to customize, since it's very simple to replace the background, change the fonts and text colors.

There are some additional HD templates available at http://Muvipix.com.

What kind of theme are you looking for?

• 2. Re: Only one HD Movie Menus in PRE 11?
            jammin109 Level 1

Thanks Steve,

I just downloaded the free sports and text menus from Movipix and peeked at them in Photoshop Elements.  I'm not sure what to do with them but assume I should place them in some Adobe PRE 11 folder to make them accessible to PRE 11.  Will read up on it in your book tonight.

Regarding what types of HD templates I need for current projects

1. Halloween

2. Travel

3. Family (trying to do family "yearbook", with lots of chapters)

4. Wedding

4. General (I like your simple text menu, and especially that scenes included on main menu)

Regarding chapters or scenes, it seems to me that HD templates can support many more chapters than SD  (i.e., more than 3-6) on a scene menu. but Adobe doesn't seem to get it.

The existing menu collection in PRE 11 has nice variety, but I just wish they were all offered in HD.  Thanks for the notes on the PRE 11 "Pan and Zoom" template.  I just played with it and agree its very nice and general and easy to customize.  It may have a small bug, however.  i just used it with a project having 7 scene markers.  While the preview screen shows a scene menu with 6 scenes, followed by a "overflow" scene menu  with 1, there isn't a navigation button on the scene menus to navigate between them.  Thus the "overflow" scene menu is dead and can't be used.

Also, as a final note, I've used SD menus with HD video on Blu-ray discs with limited success.  While the SD menus look crude and  fuzzy, some Blu-ray players have trouble with them.  E.g., older Panasonic will display menus ok, but then mask lower 50% of screen when movie is played.  Newer players (Samsung & Sony) seem ok

• 3. Re: Only one HD Movie Menus in PRE 11?

Here are the instructions for installing new disc templates in Premiere Elements.

http://muvipix.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=89&t=8374

• 4. Re: Only one HD Movie Menus in PRE 11?
                jammin109 Level 1

Thanks Steve

And I needed the pointer as its not in the book.  A couple of notes

1. In Windows 7 I had to fiddle with the permissions in order to copy files into the Program Files" folder (not a problem, just a nuiscance)

2. In PRE 11, there was no "General" folder under "DVD Templates", only "Slide Shows", so I copied there .  Actually I was surprised that all the other template categories weren't in the "DVD Templates" folder, so I assume they are hardcoded or treated in a different manner

• 5. Re: Only one HD Movie Menus in PRE 11?

As long as both the SM and MM files are in their own folder in one of the category directory folders, it should work, jammin.

• 6. Re: Only one HD Movie Menus in PRE 11?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Now, for any "custom" Menu Set to show, one needs the PNG files, for the thumbnails. The naming convetions are important here, so look at other Menu Sets, to see what one needs to do.

Good luck,

Hunt