0 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2006 2:32 PM by SlashRipShred

Compatibility Issues with AS3 & 2

SlashRipShred
      This question has a few parts actually. Let me lay down the groundwork - I'm starting a new project, but I have yet to decide whether or not I will create it in AS 2 or 3. One thing the swf will do is load other swfs into it - it also will need to somehow connect with these loaded SWFs and transfer data back and forth. I understand the compatability issues associated with loading AS 2 swfs into AS3 - see here - http://livedocs.macromedia.com/flex/2/docs/wwhelp/wwhimpl/common/html/wwhelp.htm?context=L iveDocs_Parts&file=00001801.html

At the bottom right of the chart, adobe suggests that AS 1.0 and 2.0 can "cross-script" with AS 3 using localconnection. There are already SWFs developed that need to be loaded into my new project, and I would like to create new SWFs as well, some of which may benefit from being coded in AS 3 (as well as possibly being created in Flex). I also think that overall my project will benefit from using AS 3. However, there are a few issues that I can't resolve - here are my problems -

If I create my project in AS 3, and then load SWFs that use AS 2, the project can access the loaded SWF through a localconnection - however, can they pass objects, like XMLNodes, to each other, and each understand the other, even if one uses AS2 and one uses AS3? Or can they only invoke functions on each other's sides...

If they cannot pass objects to each other, what I may consider doing it creating the project in AS3 and requiring all SWFs that are to be loaded into the main project to be rewritten in AS3 - that way the loaded swfs can pass data safely to the loader. My other question - supposing this is the case, say I want people to be able to develop SWFs for my project, but they are used to using the flash IDE - flash 9 wont be out for a few months...they can create an .fla in flash 8, write actionscript classes in AS3, then load it all into the flash9 preview and compile...making their swf compatible with my project...can they use components, which are coded in AS2? I dont think AS3 differs so much from AS2 that they couldnt just code normally and then compile in the flash9 preview, but what problems may arise from developing in this fashion? Would that mean that people coding in AS2 could simply make a few adjustments for AS3, load the .fla into the flash9 preview and compile and make an SWF that is compatible and accesible from my project? Any help on these issues would be very much appreciated - thanks!