5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2012 9:53 PM by Yao Xing Chua

How to build a content structure in DAM?

apark2900 Level 1

Hi,

I am a newbee developer in CQ.

I have an article table which contains 6 fields as title, category#, autor, dateCreated, content, and imagePath.

How should I build this database structure in DAM?

In CRXDE Lite, I tried to create 20 article nodes manually, and put these 6 fields as properties in each article node.

I somehow display all the articles with its components using nodeIterator JSP method as described in CRX development guide.

However, I cannot browse these article nodes from DAM web interface. This should be capable for editorial department to modify them.

Is this right approach?

How would you build the structure of this content data into DAM?

• 1. Re: How to build a content structure in DAM?
          brwest Level 1

Hello,

For the requirement you mentioned you will need to have the following

1. A template that will represent the article page structure

2. Components that can be used to author the page , like the article itself  (component can have title, summary, body, image location etc). The image itself will be in DAM

3. Once you have the template and corresponding page and custom components ready , you can create a page using the site admin console and author the page with actual content, this will create appropriate content nodes

Hope this helps

You can actually see how this is done  here

http://dev.day.com/docs/en/cq/current/howto/website.html

regards

kishore

• 2. Re: How to build a content structure in DAM?
            apark2900 Level 1

Thanks for the instruction!

What about article content? You know it's not just one article. I want to save these 20,000 article somewhere in database to query. How can I do that?

• 3. Re: How to build a content structure in DAM?
              brwest Level 1

Are you trying to migrate content from an existing system to CQ5.

For manual content creation , this is how it can be done.

After you follow the instruction to create the template and page components, when you need to create an article , you will have to create a page which uses the article template you create.

So any new article will require you to create a page based on the template and then edit it to store the article content. Once you create the article page you can see the content in /content/<yoursitename>/<whateverpathforarticle>

For example 

Site A

---- Articles

-----------Article1

-----------Article2

-----------Article3

Create three Article pages using the article template

Regards

Kishore

• 4. Re: How to build a content structure in DAM?
                apark2900 Level 1

Thanks Kishore!

What about the page generate content dynamically?

Let's say you create a template for the page which  picks one article out of 20 articles that you imported already into DAM or anywhere else.

Where should I put these 20 articles in what format to query by category?

• 5. Re: How to build a content structure in DAM?
                  Yao Xing Chua

Firstly, from what I understand, most data migration is done manually. I am not sure if there is an automatic format to do it. So if you were to import 20,000 articles, you have to manually create 20,000 pages. (At least thats what I did for my 100 over pages). Would be glad if anyone can point out a simpler way.

And if you follow closely to the "How to create a website" link given by kishore, I think you will grasp the idea of creating these data nodes.

From my understanding, the DAM is a place used for mostly images (or maybe pdfs, etc). You should not be putting too much text contents there as these contents will be automatically generated when you create a page and edit the values of the components that you have in the page. I think this sentence might sound confusing, but if you follow the steps in the website creating, you should be able to grasp the basics.