9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2012 2:11 PM by Peter Spier

Indesign CS5.5 crashes with font error

rad-jr

Hi-

Just started up ID CS5.5 after a month or two and when trying to open any files, we get a crash. ID complains about font missing and then immediately displays the standard windows error..indesign has crashed, do you want to send logs, debug, etc.

I have renamed the preferences per other posts and no change. How do I check all the installation files for ID or does it required an entire reinstall?  This is very strange as ID has been extremely stable on this machine...can't say we have had one crash..til today.  Suggestions?  Thank you!

• 1. Re: Indesign CS5.5 crashes with font error
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Does ID continue to crash on restart, evn before you try to open a file? That would indicate corrupt recovery data stuck in the InDesign Recovery folder in your user profile and you can fix that part by deleting the recovery data, moving it, or renaming the folder. It's in the same path as the InDesign SavedData file.

Your other problem could be a bad font. See Troubleshoot font problems | Windows or a bad link in a file, but if it happens with any file you try to open it's unlikely to be a link.

• 2. Re: Indesign CS5.5 crashes with font error
            rad-jr Level 1

Thanks. There is no recovery file or folder in the path C:\Documents and Settings\radjr\Application Data\Adobe\InDesign\Version 7.5\en_US  There is also not SavedData file in this folder. There is the preferences file Indesign Defaults which I renamed.

As for fonts, we don't move fonts around. We don't take them off or change them as that causes grief and lost sleep. :-)  Suggestions?

How can I run a check on all the executables? We have other programs that will check the status of all the program files. Is there such a feature with ID? Thanks!

• 3. Re: Indesign CS5.5 crashes with font error
              rad-jr Level 1

And, to answer your first question. ID crashes on opening. If I let it die and restart, it asks if I want to recover data and I say no.  Then on opening any file, I get the font error and ID crashes.  Thanks,

• 4. Re: Indesign CS5.5 crashes with font error
                rad-jr Level 1

More information: It seems that ID 5.5 is doing this with all CS3 files....looks like something is broken in the code base. I even tried to open a ID CS3 file from before CS55/6 came out and got the same error message of corrupt fonts.  We did get some recent >> 3month ID CS55 files open. Thoughts? Thanks!

• 5. Re: Indesign CS5.5 crashes with font error
                  rad-jr Level 1

OK. So these files all open in ID CS3 perfectly.  Checked all the fonts and all are installed and valid on this system. So, it looks like the import filter (assuming ID uses one) is blowing up. I also wrote out a copy of an file opened in ID CS3 and it generated the same message.  So, guess it is reinstall time unless there is some way to replace the import filters in ID. I assume we need to deactivate this before we reinstall? Thanks!

• 6. Re: Indesign CS5.5 crashes with font error
                    rad-jr Level 1

Lastly, reading in .INX files of the ID CS3 files also generates and error! Reinstall time!

• 7. Re: Indesign CS5.5 crashes with font error

rad-jr wrote:

Thanks. There is no recovery file or folder in the path C:\Documents and Settings\radjr\Application Data\Adobe\InDesign\Version 7.5\en_US  There is also not SavedData file in this folder. There is the preferences file Indesign Defaults which I renamed.

You are looking in the wrong folder. You want C:\Documents and Settings\radjr\LOCAL SETTINGS\Application Data\Adobe\InDesign\Version 7.5\en_US

• 8. Re: Indesign CS5.5 crashes with font error
                        rad-jr Level 1

Thank you. I will check. I have debugged this to being an issue with a font..(I hate to say you were right) in the CS3 files. ITC Zapf Dingbats was in called for in the CS3 file but not on that system. The CS5 system does have the font, but there is something that has changed in ID CS55 recently(past two-three months) that breaks in this situation. I found out because when the system crashed, upon restart it tried to open the crashed file. There was no text..as I clicked on the + symbol to reload text into the frames, I was able to localize the bad frame. Then I went back to the source CS3 file and changes fonts until I found what was causing the failure.  Can this be submitted to SQA for a patch?

• 9. Re: Indesign CS5.5 crashes with font error

It's unlikely the problem is actually in ID, and even if it was, there won't be any bug fixes now for CS5.5 unless they happen to be back-ported from CS6 or CS7 when it gets released.

Do you have more than one version of Zapf Dingbats installed, or have it installed in multiple locations?