6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2012 11:21 PM by Mylenium

Nearest Neighbor Interpolation

chloe3353

I'm trying to enable this in After Effects, it seems silly that it's not included standard like it is in Photoshop.  I suppose I could get around it by exporting the image sequence with a restrictive palette, but it distorts the colors more than necessary, and it is an extra unnecssary step I'd like to avoid.

So, if someone could give me a clue as to how to get this working in AE, either through a menu option I'm not seeing, an effect or a plug-in, that'd be great.

If not, if someone could let me know if it were possible to make a plug in that does this, if someone would be willing to make said plug-in or direct me to a community that specializes in plug-ins, that'd be fantastic.

And in terms of effects, using a simple choke is great, but it only effects the alpha layer of the animation, not the inside.  There was another effect I used, though I can't remember what it was (you set it to a certain amount of color levels, and that just picks random colors to fill in, so not cool).

I'm working with pixel art, and everything works perfect except for the fact that it blurs pixels that it shouldn't be blurring.

• 1. Re: Nearest Neighbor Interpolation
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

Um, you really need to get to know AE better before you jump into the deep end of the pool.  It's not just Photoshop for moving pictures.  Here's a good place to start.

• 2. Re: Nearest Neighbor Interpolation
            chloe3353 Level 1

You have no reason to be rude. 

I've been using Aftter Effects for several years, I know my way around it, however, this particular issue escapes me. There isn't a reliable answer anywhere, hense why I asked the series of questions.  I do realize that pixel art isn't After Effects intended usage, however, it contains many other features that makes animation quick and easy for multiple sprites that use similar animations.  Except I either have to accept the blurring pixels or take an unnecessary amount of time to correct them.  All which could be avoided if I could just find a way to remove the blurring.  Interpolation can be applied after pixels have already been rendered,  I know this, because there are many programs that can apply this to images that already exist (though they resize them, which is fine, because I end up doing that anyways).  So a plugin that handles this inside of after effects shouldn't be that far-fetched.  Perhaps you could learn a thing or two about interpolation, Here is a good place to start. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_scaling

And rather than assuming I have limited experience, you could've just been an adult and said "I don't know" or just not have said anything at all.  Your post was insulting, and not the least bit helpful.

• 3. Re: Nearest Neighbor Interpolation
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Set your layers to draft quality, scale away.

Screen Shot 2012-12-13 at 10.55.08 PM.png

• 4. Re: Nearest Neighbor Interpolation
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Basics, basics... As Rick suggested, enable draft quality. Alternatively, use an adjustment layer with a Mosaic effect or something like that to quantize your output, which in fact may look a lot better than just using nearest neighbor because it will still respect semi-transparent areas somewhat and can be tweaked with additional effects to clamp/ compress the output ranges...

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Nearest Neighbor Interpolation
                  chloe3353 Level 1

Now see, this is a correct answer.  The problem is everyone who (while saying the same thing) neglects to mention that you need to set the LAYER to draft quality.  They simply (like the poster below) state that you set 'it' to draft quality, which completely distorts the image.  This will save me tons and tons of time, thank you very much.

• 6. Re: Nearest Neighbor Interpolation
                    chloe3353 Level 1

No no no, never suggest Mosaic effect for this.  Despite having a limited default range, (which basically makes it look like you saved it as a jpeg on default settings) it still does not remove the pixel blurring, which was the issue in the first place.

Make sure when you say "enable draft quality" that you mention it's on the layers, because there is another one right in front of you for the composition, and that isn't what you would consider "basics, basics..." as you have to have learned about, it's not exactly in an intuitive spot.