9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2012 8:19 AM by the_wine_snob

How to Turn ON Ripple in PE-11

Avagadro1

When I drag a clip or photo to the timeline in PE-11 it just stays where put; it does not ripple.  EVER.

I am aware that clips, images and audio brought to the timeline should ripple unless the Control key is pressed at the same time as the drag, and I am aware that ripple will not occur if there is a clip on a parallel track.  That's not the issue here.

Any suggestions for getting the ripple ffect to operate as intended and expected?

[Windows 7, PE-11, Expert View]

Thank you.

Howard

• 1. Re: How to Turn ON Ripple in PE-11
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Are you saying that when you delete a clip from your timeline the other clips don't slide left to fill in the gap?

Or that when you add a clip in the middle of several other clips, they don't move to the right to allow you to insert it?

Or, if you've only got one clip on your timeline, when you double-click the gap between this clip and the beginning of the timeline and then press Delete, the gap doesn't close and the clip slide to the left?

• 2. Re: How to Turn ON Ripple in PE-11
            Avagadro1 Level 1

Well, none of those, exacty.

Suppose I have one or more clips on the timeline.  And assume that they are fine.

Now I reach for the Assets Panel and drag down the next clip (either video or still image) to the timeline, and place it to the right of any clips already on the timeline.  My understanding from your book and these user formus is that this latest clip added to the timeline should ripple to the left so that it sets immediately next to the clips already on the timeline.  But when I execute this "drag and drop" (if you will), the newly added clip sits on the timeline exactly where I dropped it; it does not ripple to the left.

Now that may be perfectly appropriate behavior, but I understood (perhaps incorrectly) that if there is no other data on a parallel track the newly added clip should ripple.

Thank you for any clarification,

Howard

• 3. Re: How to Turn ON Ripple in PE-11
              Robert/OZ

If yoy right click a clip in the Assets Panel you can select add to timeline, the clip will then be correctly placed in the timeline

Robert

• 4. Re: How to Turn ON Ripple in PE-11
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Howard,

Now I reach for the Assets Panel and drag down the next clip (either video or still image) to the timeline, and place it to the right of any clips already on the timeline.  My understanding from your book and these user formus is that this latest clip added to the timeline should ripple to the left so that it sets immediately next to the clips already on the timeline.

What you are describing is Snap, a feature that allows one to drag an Asset near to another, and it will then move to butt up to it. Snap can be toggled ON/OFF, and most users choose to use the S key on the keyboard. If, when you drag your Asset close to another, it is not "snapping" to the existing Clip, then Snap has likely been toggled OFF.

Ripple is when one places an Asset before others, and they move to the right, to accommodate that.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: How to Turn ON Ripple in PE-11
                  Avagadro1 Level 1

Thank you Robert and Bill.

I was not able so easily to find a "help" reference to the "Snap" function.  Then again, as a new user, I find the so-called "Help" functions in PE-11 absolutely worthless.

Unlike Photoshop (the full version) and every other program I've ever used, where there is an Index to type in a key word or phrase for help FOR THAT PROGRAM --- then definitions and references pop-up --- PE-11's Help function takes one to an Internet site that presents one's search term as it appears in Photoshop and even other Adobe programs, even where the word is used in other contests.

In the end, I just kept exploring the PE-11 pull-down menues until I found the reference to "Snap".

Thanks again.

• 6. Re: How to Turn ON Ripple in PE-11
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

I am not a fan of the on-line Help files - never have been. Even the PDF Help files were not my cup-o-tea. I am a book person, and miss my manuals, but that was then, and this is now, so I have to live with it.

As an alternative to the printed manuals, Steve Grisetti, our tireless MOD here, does have several books on PrE, and I find them to be very, very good. They are available on Amazon, or through Muvipix.com, and Adobe should package them with every copy of PrE.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: How to Turn ON Ripple in PE-11
                      Avagadro1 Level 1

Yes, thank you.  As a matter of fact I purchased Steve's book at the same time as PE-11.  Sometimes, of course, one simply needs to reference a HELP file.

I've been using the Full verion of Photoshop for ten years.  Still, every now and then (often now and now) I need to reference a help, or how to, or other explanation or another.  At least in Photoshop there is still the index method . . . if one can find it.

By contrast, I am BRAND NEW to the world of video.  While I am currently working  my way -- page-by-page -- through Steve's book (and this Adobe PE Forum), I definitely find myself confused about one matter or another, but have no useable Help Index to reference.  A perfect example was your mention of the "SNAP" function.  NO WAY could I find out about this function through PE-11 online help.  I simply tore into the menus until I found it.  What a waste of time.

I can't imagine what users of PE would do without your and Steve's input on this website.

Thanks again,

Howard

• 8. Re: How to Turn ON Ripple in PE-11
                        Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Thanks for supporting the book, Howard!

But I hope you'll also sit through my free 8 part Basic Training tutorial. It can help you with the program's basic moves.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/537685?tstart=0

• 9. Re: How to Turn ON Ripple in PE-11
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Howard,

I agree completely. I still have my manuals for PS, going back to version 2.5, and the same for Illustrator, PageMaker, InDesign, After Effects, Premiere Pro, and all the rest - every version!

I am not sure what needs to be done, regarding PrE. It is targeted for the video novice, many who have never done video-editing before. The concept of the on-line Help File is that it can be instantly updated, to reflect changes, or additional information, that was originally omitted. Back in the days of the original WordPerfect, the manual was a ring binder (beautifully printed), and about every quarter, I would receive a packet of pages in the mail. Mostly, they would replace existing pages, or would be addenda, to be added to that ring binder. Now, the addenda are added instantly on the Help pages on-line. Also, Adobe has attempted to provide more current info, by linking the Help files to the forums, via Community Help. I can see the benefit from the immediacy of the on-line Help, and also the linking to the forums for more in-depth info - BUT, it is still tough to find just what one needs. Even with a great search engine, if one does not know the exact term to search for, or if the writers of the Help file did not see the need to highlight a particular term, the user is lost. It also does not help that Adobe keeps changing some of the common terms in Premiere, to get into alignment with some other NLE (Non Linear Editor) programs, like Final Cut, and AVID.

I applaud Steve for stepping up with his books, his Learning Series, and his Basic Training Series. They ARE invaluable, well-written, and well-documented. I strongly recommend reading the Appendices of his books (often overlooked by the casual reader), as he covers a lot of general computer info, plus some very important details on the program. As I stated above, I feel that Adobe should buy a bazillion copies of his books, include those, plus links to his Muvipix articles, and also the URL for this forum, with every copy of the program. The targeted market for PrE really needs much more info, and much IS available, but the user needs to search the Internet for it.

Good luck,

Hunt