4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2012 11:58 AM by Peter Spier

InDesign PDF printing with errors but only in browser

KeirOzy

Hello,

I've created a PDF poster and uploaded it to dropbox and put a link to it on my website. I want people to be able to open the PDF in the browser and print it immediately without having to download it. Unfortunately when the link to the PDF is clicked on and the poster printed, some of the objects within the PDF have moved - some items near the top seem to have shifted downwards while others have stayed where they are. However when I print the file direct from Adobe reader, this doesn't happen, it prints normally.  

This is what the poster should look like, and what it looks like when printed from Adobe reader:

What the poster should look like.png

This is what the poster looks like when its printed from a browser:

What the psoter looks like when its printed in a browser.png

As you can see something strange has happened to some of the objects near the top of the page, they appear to have been 'pushed down' in some way. We've tried saving the PDF as various different versions and with a variety of different settings, and although occasionally this might change the look of the printed document - the errant objects may move to different locations, this never solves the problem.

N.B. I've had the same problem when printing from some PDF readers other than Adobe reader.

Any help would be much appreciated, thank you for your time.

• 1. Re: InDesign PDF printing with errors but only in browser
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Does the browser open Reader? Your PDF appears to have transparency and perhaps even an interactive button. To print complex PDF reliably you need to use Reader or a ful version of Acrobat.

How did you make the PDF? What settings?

• 2. Re: InDesign PDF printing with errors but only in browser
            KeirOzy Level 1

Thank you for responding!

The browser doesn't open the reader, it just opens the PDF in a new window. This is the case in all browsers i've tried. But I should add that when the PDF first opens in this new window, it appears error free. It is only when print is clicked, and the print preview appears that the errors show up.

In response to your points about transparency (which I don't know about) and an interactive button, the PDF was created in InDesign just using what I assume where the default settings. So if I were to recreate the PDF in InDesign, with these complex functions disable would this solve the problem? If so could you tell me how to do that?

Thanks very much for your help,

• 3. Re: InDesign PDF printing with errors but only in browser
              Jeffrey_Smith Most Valuable Participant

Even though it appears that a PDF opens in a new window, all browsers use some kind of PDF reader/app/plugin to view PDFs. And the PDF preview results will vary from reader to reader. To ensure better compatibility, you would need to dumb down elements, like removing transparency.

• 4. Re: InDesign PDF printing with errors but only in browser
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

From the tags you used it looks like you are using CS5, in which case the "default" export action is to export an interactive PDF. I believe that would have flattened the transparency, but I'm not sure waht other complexities it would have introduced. Are there any actual interactive features or buttons in use?