5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2013 3:38 PM by whsprague

How best to syncronise sound track with sound on a video track

Chris@Badgers Level 1

Hi I recorded a concert. The sound was separately recorded for quality reasons and imported into the Soundtrack. The video was added. I want to sychncronise the two. I am finding distinctive points in the audio track and trying to line these up with the audio on the video track. Then I can remove that poor quality audio and use the better audio on the soundtrack. I am using the mouse to drag the clip to try to do this . But is fiddly with the mouse. Are there keyboard controls I can use to move the video track in very small increments to get this right? Thanks Chris

• 1. Re: How best to syncronise sound track with sound on a video track
          the_wine_snob Level 9

The mouse is probably the best device for this sort of work. PrE does have some keyboard shortcuts, but not as precise, as similar in PrPro.

For doing syncing work, I always turn Snap OFF, to allow me to move the Audio seamlessly, without it trying to Snap it to the Head, or Tail, of a Video Clip. Just hit the S key, to toggle Snap OFF, but do not forget to hit S again, when done, to toggle it back on for additional editing.

I also find that when syncing Audio, if I zoom in on the Timeline horizontally, and the vertically expand my Audio Track, I can do things more easily. With the horizontal zoom, one can get to the Frame level, which is as fine an adjustment, as one can get with Video.

One thing to consider, that might, or might not, play a role in what you are doing, is that remote recorders often differ in speed, very slightly, between that of the camera. They SHOULD be matched 100%, but it seems that they seldom are. One PrPro user, who records on pro Panasonic cameras, and a Zoom recorder, posted that he found that he needed to adjust the speed of his Audio by about 0.04% up (with Maintain Pitch ON), to get perfect sync with his cameras. Through tests, he determined the % of mis-match, but once he found it, it has been a constant 0.04% for ever. Just something to think about, if you get into a longer Clip, and find that you cannot get 100% sync.

Also, while the Soundtrack (and Narration Track) normally work perfectly, sometimes, they do not, and it seems to be Project-specific. If you encounter any issues, just Select and drag your Audio Clip(s) to a free regular Audio Track, from the Soundtrack. Just something else to keep in the back of your mind, in case problems do surface.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: How best to syncronise sound track with sound on a video track
            Chris@Badgers Level 1

Bill Thanks for all of that . All new information that I will go away and use. However to try to improve my current video I think I have a problem as I have now deleted the audio track that was with the video , when I thought I was OK. The video had set in points which I have lost as I reused the save source video for many tracks , clipping each time . ( I had to resync for each number as the sound man didn't record the chat). I cannot think of away of getting the audio back in the Timeline to improve my syncing without having to remove existing video and starting again, if you follow that. Thaks again. Chris

• 3. Re: How best to syncronise sound track with sound on a video track
              Chris@Badgers Level 1

Hi Making good progress with all help so far, thanks. But I did see deep within one thread that you could move a clip one frame at a time with ALT+arrow. This would be good but doesn't work for me . It moves the timeline cursor one frame at a time which is useful but not really what I would like. Is this true? Otherwise making great progress and still finding lots of hidden goodies in the product.Its like an Aladins cave! Like how to reverse a video transition! Chris

• 4. Re: How best to syncronise sound track with sound on a video track
                the_wine_snob Level 9

If you mean that you want to Nudge a Clip, 1 Frame at a time, Select the Clip in the Timeline, and hold Alt down, then hit the Cursor Keys (Arrow Keys).

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: How best to syncronise sound track with sound on a video track
                  whsprague Level 4

Chris@Badgers wrote:

... I think I have a problem as I have now deleted the audio track that was with the video , when I thought I was OK....... I cannot think of away of getting the audio back in the Timeline to improve my syncing without having to remove existing video and starting again, if you follow that. Thaks again. Chris

Add the original clip to a new track, say Video/Audio 2 or 3.  Delink the Video and Audio.  Select the video portion and pres the delete button.  You now have the original audio track and can move it where you want, including the audio track under your existing video.