9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2012 6:59 AM by Youography

Can you place an image on top of a movie?

Youography Level 1

I am creating a slideshow. The background image is an HD movie of some candles burning. I want to then have smaller images fade in and out next to the burning candles, one after another, with some panning and zooming as well. In other words, I want to have an image over a movie, but I need each image to be the same size and in the same position for each one. I have created a similar slideshow, building everything in Photoshop then importing the PSD file into Premiere. It was the only way I could figure out how to get the images to be in the same position in Premiere; it worked out great! However, wanting to pan and zoom I obviously need the images to be larger than the actual size I want to achieve the panning and zooming affect. So how do I do it? If I import the images into Premiere separately how do I get them to be on the same X & Y coordinates? Can I do a mask effect in Premiere as one can in Photoshop? I was going to build the project in Photoshop’s timeline, but you can’t control the length of a clip, as well as other factors, with any consistency, so it’s becoming too time consuming.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Michael

• 1. Re: Can you place an image on top of a movie?
          shooternz Level 6

Absolutely you can.

Do a little research on PnP  ( Picture in Picture)

Basically place an image or clip on a video layer above the base video.

Use Motion Effect - Scale and Position to move and place it.

Use key frames to move it over time and space.

• 2. Re: Can you place an image on top of a movie?
            Youography Level 1

I will look into PiP, thank you. I still, however, will need some kind of mask for the static image, no? Lets say i want the static image to be 8x10, for example. If i want to pan and zoom inside a 8x10 frame than the image needs to be bigger than 8x10, so how do i hide the excess part of the image to achieve the pan and zoom?

Michael

• 3. Re: Can you place an image on top of a movie?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Michael,

As Craig points out, PiP is what you are looking for here. PiP can be Video, over Video, Stills over Video, or Video over Stills.

When doing critical PiP work, I use custom Alignment Grids, that I create in either Titler, or in Photoshop. This article goes into more detail: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4319250#4319250

The Scaling of your Still Images can be done in either PS, or PrPro (with the Fixed Effect>Motion>Scale), but if they are to be the same size, I think that I would do that in Photoshop, before Import, but that is my personal choice.

When you have determined the Position (Motion>Position) for the first, just Rt-click on that, choosing Copy. Then, with the other Still Images on the Timeline, Select them all, Rt-click and choose Paste Attributes. That will apply the exact same Position parameters to all.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Can you place an image on top of a movie?
                Youography Level 1

Thank you, Bill, your article will be very helpful. I appreciate it.
                My question, However, is not getting answered, and either I am not getting it (which is highly likely) or I am not explaining my situation correctly, so I'm going to try and explain it in more detail if you don’t mind.

I understand the whole PIP solution and that helps me in part.

Here is what I have and what I am trying to do.

My video is 1280x720. On the right hand side there are candles lite. On the left hand side i have an image 724x504. I'm going to have images fade in and fade out with in this 724x504 frame. I would also like to pan and zoom the image within the 724x504 dimensions. To do that I need my images to be larger than 724x504. I don't want to scale ALL the images to 724x504 in Photoshop then bring them into PrPro because I wont be able to pan and zoom the image. I need some sort of Mask, like in Photoshop, but don't think I can do it in PrPro. I want the viewer to only see the 724x504 frame and not the excess of the image needed to pan and zoom.

I hope I was clearer in describing my issue.

Michael

• 5. Re: Can you place an image on top of a movie?
                  shooternz Level 6

A simple way to do that is to use a garbage matte of that dimension in the area you want and place your inserted images on a layer below the base layer. You can then manipulate your images how you wish and they will play in the frame.

Same principle for multiple inserts same screen but will require a bit more work.

Track Mattes will work as well.

• 6. Re: Can you place an image on top of a movie?
                    Youography Level 1

shooternz -

i was kind of thinking along those lines, too. I was just hoping there was maybe an advanced technique to solve my dilemma. 

• 7. Re: Can you place an image on top of a movie?
                      shooternz Level 6

They are techniques...dont know what advanced would be though.

Use what ever technique gets the job done ...is my way.

• 8. Re: Can you place an image on top of a movie?
                        Steven L. Gotz Level 5

I suggest looking into using a new sequence for your smaller videos, If you create a sequence with 724x504 dimensions, and you put video or still images on that sequence that are larger than the sequence settings, you can easily use the Motion effect's Position parameter to pan around. Then just put the new sequence on the original sequence. Should work fine.

• 9. Re: Can you place an image on top of a movie?
                          Youography Level 1

I really like that idea, Steven, thank you.