30 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2012 1:33 PM by SirQsDad

Cant see sequence content in CS6 Premiere

SirQsDad Level 1

I have a multi sequence (25 sequences or so) in a action sport multicam project. After some day's of editing some of the sequenses stop showing contents in timeline. Some show other sequence contents and some show nothing. When I play I hear sounds in the sequence but no contents shown in timeline. It's kind of hard to edit when you dont see anything...  :-) I tried to save to a new name but no difference. I try to make files offline and relink them but nothing. Is it a bug or have I missed something so I should be ashame?

• 1. Re: Cant see sequence content in CS6 Premiere
          Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What is your source material and what is the sequence setting?

Is your graphics card driver up to date?

• 2. Re: Cant see sequence content in CS6 Premiere
            SirQsDad Level 1

M2ts,  MP4 files
            Settings are HDV 720p 25fps (Europe)

'

Win7 and its drivers and CS6 is up to date. Including the last Cloud updates. This problem started before the last update.
            The computer is less than 2 months old and all hardware is working just fine.

• 3. Re: Cant see sequence content in CS6 Premiere
              Jim_Simon Level 8

Can you post a screen shot of the problem?  I'm not sure I correctly understand the issue, and seeing what you see can help.

• 4. Re: Cant see sequence content in CS6 Premiere
                SirQsDad Level 1

Here is a screen shot.
                http://s1283.beta.photobucket.com/user/MyUsernameAgain/media/Premiere_zps00f54b02.jpg.html ?sort=3&o=0

Is it time for Adobe to update their upload limits? maximum 400 some pixels wide??? My desktop is 5000+ pixels wide.

• 5. Re: Cant see sequence content in CS6 Premiere
                  Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Try this:

Reboot pc and start Premiere with holding down alt+shift until welcome screen.

Then go to Edit | Preferences | Media and clear the media cache database.

• 6. Re: Cant see sequence content in CS6 Premiere
                    SirQsDad Level 1

Did as above and no change.
                    If I randomly click untill I find a clip change the clip scale it apears in the timelime.

I\m no programmer or so but it seems to be the interface that have gone on vacation.

• 8. Re: Cant see sequence content in CS6 Premiere
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Win7 and its drivers and CS6 is up to date.

Just for clarification, did you go to the nVidia, or AMD/ATI Web site, to check that your video driver is the very latest?

What make and model is your video card?

What is the installed version and date of the driver?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Cant see sequence content in CS6 Premiere
                        SirQsDad Level 1

I got a Gainward GeForce GTX 570 1280MB PhysX card and running 310.54 drivers. I know there is a 310.70 Betadriver there but I try to stick with non beta drivers on editing comp.

I also run a MSI GT240 card for my third monitor. Before I installed that I looked a lot for info on running a second card for third monitor but did not find anything about it so...

Reinstalling is not a thing I prefer. I already had to reinstall the cloud 3 times since this summer and it takes a good 10 to 12 hours to install everything with plugins and so on. Why is Adobe making me do all that work and who is paying me for all the hours that takes....

• 10. Re: Cant see sequence content in CS6 Premiere
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, two different cards, with different drivers. I wonder if that could be at least part of the issue, because it sounds like a display problem?

When most are driving multiple monitors, they normally opt for the same cards, and hence, the same drivers.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Cant see sequence content in CS6 Premiere
                            SirQsDad Level 1

I would prefer to use two identical cards but there is a money issue for that. And until Adobe declares that this is the issue I do not like to spend that exta money just to try out. But then again I doubt Adobe will declare anything like that....

• 12. Re: Cant see sequence content in CS6 Premiere
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

I do not know about a response from Adobe, but maybe Bill G., or Harm M. can offer their observations, as they have done a lot of data-gathering via PPBM, the performance benchmarking Web site.

Good luck, and wish that I had some hard info for you, beyond just general observations. You might want to post your system info to the Adobe Hardware Forum: http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere/hardware_forum. Also, Scott C. and Eric B., from ADK, might have some direct input for you. All four spend time on that hardware forum.

Hunt

• 13. Re: Cant see sequence content in CS6 Premiere
                                SirQsDad Level 1

Ok Bill I posted in that forum. Hope they have a ace up theire sleves...  :-)  Thanks

• 14. Re: Cant see sequence content in CS6 Premiere
                                  SirQsDad Level 1

I really hope that someone have some help in this matter.

I did a clean install of latest nVidia drivers and the same problem.

If I cut and copy files that I think is is where they should be into a new timeline the problem follows to the new timeline. Sometimes clips apear when mouse over and sometimes they go away. What is going on?

• 16. Re: Cant see sequence content in CS6 Premiere
                                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>GTX570 and GT240

Based on what I remember from these discussions, having 2 cards requires that they be from the same family

2 cards and 3 monitors http://forums.adobe.com/thread/875252

-and http://forums.adobe.com/thread/876675

Your solution may be to replace both cards with a 6xx series card with 4 video outputs

Check the nVidia site for full specifications

• 17. Re: Cant see sequence content in CS6 Premiere
                                      Harm Millaard Level 7

I'm missing the basic components of your system before I can reply, let alone make a sensible suggestion.

I know you have a GTX 570 with 310.54 and are editing HDV 720 material, so I presume Win7-64 SP1, but what CPU, memory, disk setup, third party cards, etc.

If I understand the problem correctly, you are editing a 25 multicam shoot and the system corrupts displays, showing nothing, or the wrong clips, or other weird things. Correct?

• 18. Re: Cant see sequence content in CS6 Premiere
                                        SirQsDad Level 1

Thanks Harm for noticing this issue!
                                        Ok most of the things are less than three months old. I have:
                                        Motherboard ASUS Sabertoth 990FX R.2.
                                        AMD FX-8150 Black Ed.
                                        Corsair Vengeance 32GB RAM,
                                        8 Internal and 4 Ext HHD's
                                        Win 7 x64 is on Kingston Hyper X SSD.
                                        Water Cooling = No heat problem. Nothing Clocked.
                                        Main GPU is Gainward GTX570 1280MB with two monitors. Third monitor is on MSI GT240 512MB
                                        PSU Corsair HX1050
                                        Driver is 310.70 Clean Install.

The problem is that this multicam, multi sequenses project somehow startet to fail in the timeline window. Some clips are shown and some not. when randomly clicking I can sometimes find some clips and then they show in "Effects Control" when scrolling in timeline clips sound are heard. All other windows works fine. I've added and removed clips. renamed project. Re linked them no change.
                                        Just started another project and no problem. Tried to project manager and created a new slimed copy same issues. Never had this issue before. And everything else in the comp works fine. Run BOINC to stress test CPU, GPU and no problem.

Let me know if you need more info. Again thanks for any help!

• 19. Re: Cant see sequence content in CS6 Premiere
                                          SirQsDad Level 1

John.
                                          I somehow understand the issue. But why must I buy a expenciv second GPU when Adobe wont use it? That sounds like one of the tech nerds need to explain why I need to spend a lot of extra money for nothing..

• 20. Re: Cant see sequence content in CS6 Premiere
                                            Harm Millaard Level 7

First let me comment on your components:

• Motherboard ASUS Sabertoth 990FX R.2.  OK
                                            • AMD FX-8150 Black Ed. hmmm
                                            • Corsair Vengeance 32GB RAM, OK
                                            • 8 Internal and 4 Ext HHD's  Sounds good
                                            • Win 7 x64 is on Kingston Hyper X SSD. Good
                                            • Water Cooling = No heat problem. Nothing Clocked. Good
                                            • Main GPU is Gainward GTX570 1280MB with two monitors. Third monitor is on MSI GT240 512MB Good?
                                            • PSU Corsair HX1050 OK, but should have been the AX
                                            • Driver is 310.70 Clean Install. Good

Some more questions. Do you use a dedicated raid controller for all these disks? What model/type and how are your externals connected and how are the disks used in your setup, Where are your media, projects, previews and media cache located?

You see that I put hmmm behind the CPU. That is because AMD CPU's are not really suited for editing work, despite the number of cores, but they lack the severely needed support for SSE 4.1+ instructions, making all AMD's much slower than even a middle of the road Intel CPU.

You also noted my ? after the video cards. This is similar to Bill's earlier post and it might have to do with your problems.

If my previous understanding of your problem with a 25 camera/angles multicam shoot is correct, you have to realize that to correctly handle 25 streams of video material, even if it is only HDV, requires huge bandwidth. 25 streams of 25 Mbps material equals 625 Mbps sustained bandwidth if we forget about system overhead and huge traffic between Disk-CPU-Memory-GPU-VRAM-CPU-Memory-Disk etc.

If we add to that the relatively meager performance of the AMD CPU and the yet unknown raid configuration, you can imagine that the system may be overwhelmed at times and make erros, just like humans when overwhelmed with a gigantic load of work that needs to be finished yesterday.

I look forward to your reply about the disk/raid setup. There is one further question. Have you tuned your system, removed the sidebar, turned off indexing and compression on all drives, removed MSN, QuiRcktime, iTunes and similar crap?

• 21. Re: Cant see sequence content in CS6 Premiere
                                              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>I somehow understand the issue. But why must I buy a expenciv second GPU when Adobe wont use it? That sounds like one of the tech nerds need to explain why I need to spend a lot of extra money for nothing..

No, I did not say (or thought I did not say) you need a 2nd GPU... I said (or meant to say) that to run 3 monitors you remove BOTH of your current cards and replace them with a single, 4 output series 6xx nVidia card

Your current cards are one from the 5xx family and one from the 2xx family... and I have read before that such a mix is very likely not going to work

For a PARTIAL comparison of nVidia cards go to http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith/GPU.HTM

• 22. Re: Cant see sequence content in CS6 Premiere
                                                SirQsDad Level 1

Ok here are more info:

The hard drives are individuals. One for projects, a few for raw files from cameras, one for Adobe cashe, one for sound library and so on.
                                                No RAID setup. I understand that there is a lot of traffic to shuffle around and next investing frenzy might give a different configuration.

Previews are next to project.

About the project I need to clear some here. I have 5 cams during a festival with music and action sports. So it's not 25 cams. But each part of the event is a own sequens. So there is 25 (or so) sequenses.

Maybe the correct way to go would be be to split it down to 25 (or so) projects instead?

Tomorrow its a big jackpot on Euromillions lottery. Until I win some I must sadly stick with this GPU situation I have. An equal GPU family (5xx) is around 2-300 dollar here in Sweden and ....) Tomorrow after the jackpot I'll buy you alla nice card:-)

About the crap. Most of it yes. No indexing, No compression, No apple what so ever. No MSN but I must confess there is some sidebar crap left... Sorry :-) Gonna deal with it.
                                                Might even consider Intel....  Been on the AMD side for 10-15 years but perhaps it's time to think that over....

• 23. Re: Cant see sequence content in CS6 Premiere
                                                  SirQsDad Level 1

Ok I miss understood you there.
                                                  I will look into this issue after the holliday's. What is creating this situation? Since aparently Adobe is not doing with the second card.

• 24. Re: Cant see sequence content in CS6 Premiere
                                                    SirQsDad Level 1

Good list you had there Tom!
                                                    Where are all those lists when you need them :-)
                                                    I was looking high and low when buying the 570 card.

• 25. Re: Cant see sequence content in CS6 Premiere
                                                      SirQsDad Level 1

I did my homework on the SSE4.1+ and I think my AMD flag on the wall will change soon. At least when it comes to editing.

• 26. Re: Cant see sequence content in CS6 Premiere
                                                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Maybe the correct way to go would be be to split it down to 25 (or so) projects instead?

Well, the most obvious first step would be to decrease the size of your project a bit by making separate projects for the different parts of the events, so say project 1 for part 1, project 2 for part 2, etc.

You will still have the 5 cameras in each project, but each project will be significantly shorter and smaller, load faster and carry less overhead than everything in one huge project file. I don't know if that will solve your problem, but it is worth a try.

• 27. Re: Cant see sequence content in CS6 Premiere
                                                          SirQsDad Level 1

An update,
                                                          I copied all tracks in one sequence to a new sequence.
                                                          Deleted all other sequences.
                                                          Saved to new project.
                                                          Used project managager to trim and remove unused files.
                                                          And result......

In timeline I can now see all 43 files. Picture and sound.
                                                          In Project window I have 7 empty folders and one sequence. I can not see any media files
                                                          When selecting a clip in timeline I can see the info in "Effect Control" tab. I can right click and select "Reveal in project" but nothing is revealed in project. There are no files there except the 7 empty folders and one sequence file.

So how about this issue? Any thoughts...  :-)

• 28. Re: Cant see sequence content in CS6 Premiere
                                                            SirQsDad Level 1

After talking with Adobe support Sweden I still have no solution. They simply said "sorry we can not help you. We have no solution".
                                                            So I have to depend on you guy's here. Or partly start this project over again. So please......  :-)

• 29. Re: Cant see sequence content in CS6 Premiere
                                                              Harm Millaard Level 7

I can only suggest to follow a different route, it is rather time consuming, but I have no other approach to offer:

1. Open your original (troublesome) project.

2. Save as xxx-Part-1.prproj.

3. Delete everything but the Part-1 material from the project panel, clips, sequences, audio, etc.

4. Save the project again.

5. Exit PR.

6. Open PR and load the project xxx-Part-1.prproj.

Does that work as expected?

If yes, repeat these steps for Part-2, Part-3, etc. This approach bypasses Project Manager and may help.

• 30. Re: Cant see sequence content in CS6 Premiere
                                                                SirQsDad Level 1

Thanx Harm. I will try that this weekend. Gotta try finish another project first.
                                                                Will post outcome.