3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2012 7:21 PM by dan480

Is a GTX 660 enough?

dan480

I have to replace my graphics card (GTX-295) seems to be going into dvi-d sleep mode and Nvidia has been unable to find a software solution. I'm thinking along the lines of a GTX660 or a 660ti.  Is there any benefit to the 670/680/690 cards for photo processing with cs6 and lightroom?

• 1. Re: Is a GTX 660 enough?
          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Unfortunately you are asking an nVidia related question on the Premiere Pro Hardware forum.  Many of us might incidently use Photoshop and/or Lightroom but cannot answer that question for you.  You probably can do better on those forums.  If this was a Premiere question then I would be glad to share my experience with these boards.  I own both a GTX 660 and a GTX 680.

• 2. Re: Is a GTX 660 enough?
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Premiere Pro CS5 and later use the CUDA cores in nVidia cards for hardware acceleration of certain video effects

I am not aware that Photoshop or Lightroom make any use of CUDA cores... doesn't mean they don't, but as Bill says, this is in the Premiere area

You should ask in the Photoshop and/or Lightroom forums about using CUDA cores

If not, an ATI card will cost less... and then you concentrate on amount of video card ram and the ram speed and data throughput

• 3. Re: Is a GTX 660 enough?
              dan480 Level 1

Thanks, I didn't notice that I was on the wrong forum.