3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2012 11:28 AM by conroy

Rotating Animation with a Seamless Loop

Andymc7 Level 1

Hey all,

I'm trying to do something very simple in PS CS6 that's proving to be, well, not so simple (for me at least). All I want to do is animate a layer in a clockwise direction and end up with a seamless looping animated gif. I discovered rotation can't even be animated unless you convert the layer to a smart object, first of all (and by accident. And the "Motion" function doesn't seem to work much at all, where there is a "Rotate" option.). And of course simply copy-pasting the first keyframe in the timeline to the end of the timeline just makes the layter rotate clockwise, then counterclockwise back to it's original position.

So.. I'm sure this is a simple task for experienced animators in Photoshop, so if someone could fill me in I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Andy

• 1. Re: Rotating Animation with a Seamless Loop
          conroy Level 5

Try keyframes at start, one-third, two-thirds and full rotation. That'll be 0, 120, 240 then 0 degrees again.

• 2. Re: Rotating Animation with a Seamless Loop
            Andymc7 Level 1

Thanks for replying conroy,

Well, PS only lets you rotate up to 180 or -180 degrees for starters, and also if I do like you suggest with 0* at the start and end, it will just cause the last rotation to turn counterclockwise back to the initial position of the smart object, which is not what I want. I want the smart object to keep rotating clockwise. But thanks anyway for the input, and maybe I've misunderstood in some way.

In the meantime, I have actually figured out a crude way to achieve the continuous clockwise rotation of the smart object... Simply use the Shift key and rotate in 15* increments, making keyframes along the way until the layer is rotated back to it's initial position. Unless someone else has a better method, it looks like I'll have to live with that.

Thanks again!

• 3. Re: Rotating Animation with a Seamless Loop
              conroy Level 5

You can rotate by up to +/-180 deg at a time, so what was to stop you doing 120 deg at a time, similar to my suggestion, instead of 15 deg at a time?