14 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2014 3:14 PM by metric dimension

Premiere Elements 11 won't launch

hsonnergard

G'day,

I downloaded the trial version of PRE11 a few weeks ago, but I couldn't get it to run. Upon launch I get the welcome screen with two choices, to launch the Organizer or the Video Editor, but neither of these actually start. It seems as it is trying though, as I see a scrolling line below my choice after clicking it. No error code or anything like it, it simply won't start (and I don't see any process starting either).

Nevertheless, a few days ago I bought PRE11 (Win/Mac DVD, English) and installed it. Exactly the same behaviour as with the trial, apart from one thing. When I try to lanuch the Video Editor I get the licence agreement. After agreeing, it's the same thing though, nothing happens.

I've read this thread (http://forums.adobe.com/message/4773135) and tried to see if I had any of the symptoms described, or if any of the suggested solutions worked. So far, no luck. I tried Large_Donkey's solution (http://forums.adobe.com/message/4893868#4893868) with the msvcr80.dll and msvcr100.dll files, but it didn't make any difference. Same thing with VDOsurfer's reply (http://forums.adobe.com/message/4903592#4903592) I also tried primarykeytech's suggestion (http://forums.adobe.com/message/4905283#4905283) and downloaded Dependency Walker and ran both Premiere Elements 11.exe and Premiere Elements.exe. At first, it reported that IEShims.dll and gpscv.dll was missing/couldn't be loaded, so I added these to the Premiere Elements folder. Then I got a message (still while running Premiere Elements.exe in Dependency Walker) saying that sysntfy.dll was missing, so I added this one as well to the Premiere Elements folder. After this, I still get three messages in Dependency Walker, but no further description on which files it can't find:

"Error: At least one module has an unresolved import due to a missing export function in an implicitly dependent module.

Error: Modules with different CPU types were found.

Warning: At least one module has an unresolved import due to a missing export function in a delay-load dependent module."

And none of these changes made any difference, I tried to launch the Video Editor and/or Organizer, but it's the same thing; won't launch, no error message. I've now resetted everything back to the way it was on installation, and tried to continue finding any solution.

Some specs, even if maybe not all of these are relevant. If any other specs are needed, just inform me.

Motherboard: Asus P6T Deluxe V2

CPU: Intel i7 950 3,06GHz

PSU: Corsair HX 650W

RAM: Corsair XMS 12GB DDR3 2000MHz

Graphics: Nvidia/Gigabyte GTX 460

Sound: M-Audio Delta 1010LT

Drives: 2x500GB WD Black HDD (programs and data), 1x120GB Intel X25-M SSD (OS)

Monitor: Dell U2711

Thanks in advance for any help.

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 11 won't launch
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Hm-m, the most common problems with failure to launch are (and pretty much in this order):

1. Obsolete video driver - I assume that you have gone to the nVidia Web site, then downloaded and installed the latest driver for your card and OS (can sometimes yield an error, but more often, just a failure to launch)
          2. Problematic VST's, usually loaded for use in audio-editing programs (seldom yields an error)
          3. C++ RunTime problems (usually yields an error, though not always)
          4. Conflicts with other programs, such as real-time scanning anti-virus, anti-malware or anti-anything programs (seldom yields an error, as the program just times-out, waiting for the offending program to release necessary files) - do you have any anti-virus, anti-anything programs running? If so, try disabling it/those, and launching PrE

This article covers some possible problems, but I think that it was mentioned at least once, in the threads, to which you linked. Still, look over it, and especially the "troubleshooting" tips, and links, near the end of the article: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/792580?tstart=0 In that troubleshooting section, there is a link to "Finding Clues," and I would definitely read over that linked article, and explore the error/warning messages in Event Viewer, in both the System and Applications Tabs. If you have any, and they have links (usually to MS), follow any/all of those.

Good luck, and sorry to be using a "scatter gun" approach, but I am going with what is most common, to weed those out first.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Premiere Elements 11 won't launch
            hsonnergard Level 1

Many thanks for your quick reply.

1. Probably not, as I have the latest version installed (same goes for sound card)

2. Well, I do infact have a few DAWs installed (mainly FL Studio) with a lot of different VSTs. How could I check if any of these are causing the failed launch? Can't find anything like a blacklist, as you say PrPro writes out.

3. Well, as I don't get an error message I presume this is not the case. How could I check it?

4. Apart from firewall I run MS Security Essentials, but no scans are running.

Went through the first list in the first post of the thread "FAQ: Premiere Elements Hanging, or Crashing - Some Tips", but don't seem to make any difference. The troubleshooting tips on Wikia are for PrPro, correct? Would they more or less apply to Elements as well?

Also, went through in Event Viewer, but don't find any error or warning messages related to PrE. Tried executing Premiere Elements 11.exe and Premiere Elements.exe while refreshing the Application tab, but no errors, warning or information is logged.

Regards Henrik

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 11 won't launch
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Henrik,

For the VST's (a strong possibility), this article might be useful: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3077222#3077222

Yes, the Premiere Wiki is basically for Premiere Pro, up to version CS 4, though some of the entries do apply to PrE, just not the majority.

Some hangs (usually not crashes), do not yield error, or warning messages in Event Viewer, but many will. Though not as easy to chart, one might pour over the Events (again, both System and Applications), to see if something "odd" is loading, at the same time as PrE is hanging. This info is most often related to those anti-whatever programs, but can point to something else, that is getting called at the same time. Because of the number of services, that appear in Event Viewer, it is usually a tedious matter of matching the times with the hang, and just looking for something that does not seem "right." Figuring out what is "right," and what is not, can be just guesswork, but seeing something, non-Adobe, loading at the exact time of the hang, might be an indicator.

Good luck, and report how it goes with those VST's, please.

Hunt

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 11 won't launch
                hsonnergard Level 1

Well, I've read your article/post regarding the problems with VST in regards to launching Premiere, but afaik I don't get a 'classic' splash screen, as I get with Photoshop, Illustrator or InDesign (my other Adobe programs), while loading PrE. At least I'm not seeing one, as I don't get it to start at all (apart from the Organizer/Video Editor screen). Does PrE create a blacklist though? Because if it is, "...this might mean 20-30 aborted launches, before all are blacklisted", as you wrote. And would it actually make any difference, ie does PrE read a blacklist, if I use this (http://forums.adobe.com/message/1736161#1736161) method and add one myself?

Regards Henrik

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 11 won't launch
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

As for the blacklisting of VST's in PrE, I have never gotten confirmation that PrE does that, as PrPro, as of CS 4, does. I would love to hear from an Adobe engineer, with PrE background, to find out what process might, or might not come into play.

In PrPro, prior to CS 4, the trick on a PC was to Move the VST's to the Desktop Folder (a special PC folder, with specific properties), as PrPro (and I assume PrE) would not look in that folder, when surveying and loading VST's. In many cases, the users could then point their DAW programs to that folder, and then the VST's would be loaded into those programs.

Again, and back in earlier versions of PrPro, for what appears as "Type 2" VST's in my article (those that PrPro could load, but not use), there was a one-time warning message, to the effect that "PrPro has loaded VST ____, but cannot use it." What I called Type 3's (those that would cause PrPro to hang, and could not be used), there were no messages - just a failure to launch.

Because of the potential problem with VST's (they come from so very many sources, and some are written, better than others), I wish that there was a fail-safe, and annotated warning, displayed. In later versions of PrPro, I would love to see the code written, that would blacklist certain, troublesome VST's, and then without having to relaunch, the program would just move onto the next, and then the next. I would also like to see that, or similar, implemented in PrE. It would make things so much easier for users.

Good luck, and please let us know what you find.

Hunt

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 11 won't launch
                    hsonnergard Level 1

Well, I tried the blacklist approach by adding a "blacklist.txt" file to the VST plugins folders I have, but to no avail. I also read the last post you made in the "Failure of Premiere to Launch - One Possibility VST's" thread, with the answers from Adobe Engineering. As that post was made almost 2 years ago, I somehow think this wouldn't be an issue in PrE 11 anymore?

Anyway, while trying to launch Premiere Elements.exe ~200 times the last 24h, I've not noticed anything strange in Event Viewer, no errors or warnings connected to the launch of PrE (or, for that matter, no errors or warnings at all during the time I try to launch the program). One thing I did notice, though, is that the process Premiere Elements 11.exe actually starts (I chose not to display the welcome screen every time, but to launch the Video Editor right away) but then quickly terminates. Utually it manage to get between 15-20MB of memory before it crashes and terminate the process, only takes 1 or 2 seconds from launch to termination.

Slowly losing my hope to actually discover the cause, as I'm shooting in the dark evey time (not getting any error messages or hints on what actually fails). Really needed to use PrE this week, maybe have to find some free alternative on the interwebs.

Regards Henrik

Edit: Searching deeper on the Adobe forums regarding VST scanning issues with PrPro/E, and it baffles me how long this error seems to have been going on, even if it's not 100% certain that is the error in my case.

Edit2: Once again a shot in the dark, but I'm thinking my troubles may be due to multiple hard drives? As things are scattered over 3 discs (OS on one, programs on the second one and personal data on the third one) this might cause some path/reference issues? I was thinking this since Depencency Walker gives me the following error messages:

"Error: At least one module has an unresolved import due to a missing export function in an implicitly dependent module.

Error: Modules with different CPU types were found.

Warning: At least one delay-load dependency module was not found.

Warning: At least one module has an unresolved import due to a missing export function in a delay-load dependent module."

And it also states that it can't find IESHIMS.DLL and GPSVC.DLL (a road I already have been down earlier). This got me thinking PrE can't find the correct files from where it is installed (E:\Program Files\Adobe\Premiere Elements 11). On the other hand, I'm getting the exact same error messages on Photoshop CS5 (which runs fine), and the same two dll files seems to be missing. Even tried running a few other programs that work, such as games, though Depencency Walker, and even they seems to miss these dll files.

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 11 won't launch
                      John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have read other messages that say that Premiere Elements (and PPro) do not work properly if installed to anything other than the C: (boot) drive

See #10 in this message thread for one example of that problem http://forums.adobe.com/message/4474584

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 11 won't launch
                        hsonnergard Level 1

Well, as weird as it sounds that programs developed in 2012 have potential problems with multiple drives (and monitors, for that matter) I tried to uninstall once again, and this time installed PrE 11 on the C: drive (C:\Program Files\Adobe more specifically). No effect, exactly the same behaviour. Welcome screen shows up, but from there I can't launch either the Organizer or the Video Editor.

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 11 won't launch
                          VDOSurfer Level 3

There is a theory that it does not matter where a dll is copied as long as the contents of the dll is exposed to the supported applications. This is usually done by registering it (regsvr32.exe). This does not hold true for all of them dlls and I do not really know what differs between the ones that are registered and the ones that are not.

What if these dlls you installed (copied) are the ones that Need to be in a specific folder and are not currently in the right location? For e.g. the ieshims.dll should be in IE folder according to this post. And GPSVC.DLL should be in System32 folder according to this post. Having said that, I will be surprised if it all starts working after copying these files correctly. These files seem to have no common sensical bearing to what Premiere Elements does. But what do I know..

What I do know is that Premiere Elements definitely does not install these. So as in the case of the C Runtime libraries errors post, the issue can be fully corrected only with a clean(er) windows installation.

More interesting and useful will be to figure out who is going around deleting these files from Windows. Again, I do not think it is Premiere Elements; mainly because if it was it would have been a more widespread problem.

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 11 won't launch
                            hsonnergard Level 1

Thanks for all the replies so far, but I'm still unsure of how to proceed. It's not that I'm not used to fixing program errors (after all, I use Windows), but this one has to be one of the most odd I have ever come across. No error messages or even clues about what might be wrong, and I don't see any difference regardless of what actions I take (moving/copying dlls, blacklisting VST, reinstalling in different directories, running Event Viewer and Depencency Walker...) I've had my share with other Adobe programs such as Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign, but so far Premiere Elements seems to be the most expensive (ironically) non-functional Adobe program I've aquired yet.

Regards Henrik

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 11 won't launch
                              bababablacksheep

I am having the same problem. I went online help - chat by Adobe technitian  and told me that I had an error dll in my computer and was recommended to reinstall windows. Then I upgraded the operating system to Windows8 but no luck.....

• 12. Re: Premiere Elements 11 won't launch
                                hsonnergard Level 1

Thing is, I've heard/read that recommendation as well, but in my ears that's just a lame excuse (I'm sort of getting grumpy here... ), to tell a user to reinstall their entire OS. It's like the classic "have you tried turning it off and on again?"

• 13. Re: Premiere Elements 11 won't launch
                                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Except that sometimes it works. (And so does rebooting, sometimes.)

• 14. Re: Premiere Elements 11 won't launch
                                    metric dimension

Interesting... I know this thread is 2 years old by now, but amazingly, I'm having exactly the same problem. When I go to the application itself in the Program Files folder, it says I need a new version of the Adobe Application Manager, which I've downloaded and installed. Same thing. How frustrating...

Did you or anyone ever have any luck figuring this out? You'd think that Adobe would have been alerted to this problem and fixed it by now.