7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2012 11:55 AM by Noel Carboni

Crop Tool in 13.1

Hudechrome Level 2

I've been beefing about the upgrade Crop in 13.1, so this morning, I did some exploration with respect to LR, ACR and PS crop.

My big complaint was the removal of the option "Unconstrained". I still think that should be restored. The equivalent in LR is "Unlock" That's perfect. In ACR it is unconstrained unless you constrain it. Also fine.

In PS, the only way to get there is to use WxHxRes and delete all entries. Res can remain. I enter the resolution set in ACR.

Of course, this puts that function out of reach for it's intended use to simply make it run like Unconstrained. So, in order to have complete options available, I urge PS engineers to put Unconstrained, or unlock or simply set unconstrained as default, as it is in ACR.

Thanks,

Lawrence

• 1. Re: Crop Tool in 13.1
          Noel Carboni Level 8

I'm trying to understand exactly what you mean...

Do you realize that choosing Ratio and pressing the [Clear] button (as well as choosing W x H x Resolution and pressing [Clear]) gives you operation identical to the prior Unconstrained setting?

-Noel

• 2. Re: Crop Tool in 13.1
            Hudechrome Level 2

Use any of the options that allows Clear and you can run the crop tool freely. I chose what I did because I'm likely not to use it to the extent of the others. But yes, use Clear it and Crop will function as Unconstrained.

Also, if you notice, while running the mouse around obtaining a crop, you can exceed the limits of the image and begin to include white space which then changes to transparent lifitng the mouse button. Unfortunately, if you click Image>Reveal All, the transparent space remains.  Try then to get back to exactly the original ratio with crop without inadvertently having a row or two of transparent pixels still showing, which you cannot see until exiting Crop entirely!

I consider that to be a defect. It really eats up the time, unbillable time unless you have a sympathetic client! (Rrright!)

I am leaning to the Unlock icon as a starting point when engaging crop. Also, selecting unconstrained in any fashion should set the bounding box to the complete image, not leaving the box still showing the crop dimensions from the settings from which you wish to leave.

• 3. Re: Crop Tool in 13.1
              Noel Carboni Level 8

You've just said that running it in the 2 box or 3 box modes and pressing [Clear] gives you the behavior of what you had in 13.0 with Unconstrained.  But you don't say that it's acceptable.  I'm sorry for being dense but I don't see why...  Are you saying it takes more time to press [Clear] than it would to select Unconstrained from the list? 

Or that the time is going into filling in boxes sometimes and clearing them other times?

I'm usually pretty good at getting my mind around what peoiple are saying, but in this case I think I just haven't had enough coffee today yet.

-Noel

• 4. Re: Crop Tool in 13.1
                Hudechrome Level 2

Noel Carboni wrote:

You've just said that running it in the 2 box or 3 box modes and pressing [Clear] gives you the behavior of what you had in 13.0 with Unconstrained.  But you don't say that it's acceptable.

Yes, because if you start the crop tool with settings in place, simply clearing leaves the bounding box in place. Then you have to click Cancel to free up the bounding lines. Rinse and repeat.

I want to have a single click to have the bounding box around the entire image as a start, not have to foirst clear a former entry.

Here's a typical workflow, needlessly complicated.

Open a file. Click Crop. set it to some ratio, say 4x5. decide not to crop. Cancel and exit. Now pick another file. Click Crop, the former ratio comes back. Click Clear.

Now what? It's still 4x5.

Ok, here's what's next. Exit Crop with any tool. Reenter crop and now the bounding box is the original with the edge bounding free to move independently.

Why should one have to do all that? Ok, I suppose I have not exhausted all the possibilities PS can offer. We know there are any number of  ways to accomplish tasks. But this for a simple crop?

Look at the starting tiem for this Discussion. Now look at the post time for this. All spent on trying to figure out how to game the Crop tool.

And then some.

• 5. Re: Crop Tool in 13.1
                  Noel Carboni Level 8

I'm seeing your points better now, thanks for elaborating.

FYI, I usually leave "Snap" enabled, so that if I end up with a crop I don't want, I just move the edges of the crop region back to the edges of the photo.  I take it you prefer "Snap" disabled.

-Noel

• 6. Re: Crop Tool in 13.1
                    Hudechrome Level 2

Mostly disabled, especially when I am trying to crop out to the pixel level. At the moment, it is enabled but doesn't fix the main issue.

A compromise which should involve the least code change (what do I know about code change? ) would have the Clear button clear everything and have the bounding box snap to the edges of theimage.

• 7. Re: Crop Tool in 13.1
                      Noel Carboni Level 8

Hudechrome wrote:

have the Clear button clear everything and have the bounding box snap to the edges of theimage.

I think that's a good idea.

-Noel