6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2012 1:01 PM by the_wine_snob

Premiere Elements 10 crashing/hanging

stanfr007 Level 1

Hi, I'm using PE 10 on an HP Pavillion running Vista HE, with 8GB RAM and 2.4GHz 2-quad intel and 160GB free on C/

PE 10 has been runnning smoothly for the past six months or so, now all of a sudden it launches my projects fine, but when i try to Edit either effects or transitions on any of my existing projects, i get 2 GUIs pop up in rapid succession with the dreaded "Sorry, APE has encountered a serious error and needs to shut down..." This happens 90% of the time, a small number of times i dont get the crash popups, instead i just get 'loading...' and the effects/transitions never load, the system hangs. The only thing that has changed to my system since it was running fine is maybe some WIndows updates downloaded.

I thought it might be a memory issue, because if I create a new project with the same settings, it loads the effects/transitions just fine, it is only with existing projects that it crashes. But according to my system review, it's only using 10-20% of my CPU/memory when this occurs. Very frustrating! I've gone through all the troubleshooting lists to no avail. Any ideas?? Thanks-Stan

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 10 crashing/hanging
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Stan,

Welcome to the forum.

Since PrE worked fine for a bit, but now experiences issues, my first thought would be a video driver issue. Even a simple OS update (set to be automatic by default) can render the video driver obsolete. My first stop would be to the nVidia, or AMD/ATI Web site, and there, plug in your video card model, and your OS version. Download and install the latest video driver. Note: do not trust Windows, or any utility, to tell you if you have the latest driver, as they will likely be 6 mos. out of date.

With an HP (or a Dell, Lenovo, or similar), you might need to go to the HP Web site, as many major mfgrs. will re-write the video drivers, and only their version will work.

If that does not help, then see this FAQ Entry: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/792580?tstart=0

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 10 crashing/hanging
            stanfr007 Level 1

I'll give that a shot, thanks for the suggestions Bill!

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 10 crashing/hanging
              the_wine_snob Level 9

You are most welcome. I only wish that there were "magic bullets" to fix crashes and hangs, but there are so many variables, and especially on a PC, as one can have all sorts of hardware and software installed.

Good luck, and please report on your progress,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 10 crashing/hanging
                stanfr007 Level 1

Yes, and it drives computer morons like myself NUTS!

Installing the latest driver didnt work. I also tried a couple cleanups to HD and increased my paging file limit but no luck.

I think it has to be some sort of memory issue since it works fine on newly created projects with the same project settings, but not on any preexisting projects, even small ones.

Or could be a PE 10 corruption--so im thinking of doing an Uninstall-Install, but the Uninstall Wizard tells me to make sure the Serial Number has been removed from my system first--how do i do that? -Stan

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 10 crashing/hanging
                  stanfr007 Level 1

OK-INTERESTING! I may be a computer moron but i do know how to think in logical sequence so, since it seems to work on new projects, I took an old project and did a SAVE AS, to create an 'identical' new version. The save as version WORKS!

So, a workaround could be to save all my old projects as new ones, but before i do that i would prefer if i could figure out what is causing the problem in the first place, cause it's bound to keep happening if idon't.

Any ideas?? Thanks -Stan

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 10 crashing/hanging
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, Stan, a very interesting development.

Project files (PREL's) are rather complex assemblies of XML code, with myriad links and instructions. They can become corrupt, and for many different reasons, some unknown.

That you have a workaround is great, but like you, I would love to know the root cause, so as to help others prevent it, in the future.

Perhaps, for the future, this article will be helpful. It starts out with a discussion on what is in a PREL/PRPROJ (the latter is the Project file for PrPro), and then discusses the various versions of Save: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3392837#3392837

During the course of editing a Project, I keep my AutoSaves on (leaving mine at the default of 5 versions), do a Save fairly often, then after major editing, will do a Save_As, which will also start a new AutoSave folder with 5 more files. At the end of the day, I will then often do a Save_As_a_Copy, which will be my major, incremental backup.

Good luck, and if you can find a common thread in the corruption of the Projects, please share those.

Hunt