7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2012 7:34 AM by the_wine_snob

DIFFICULTY IN LOADING FROM A SONY HANDY CAM

Kebisu

I just bought Adobe Premiere Elements II. I have a Sony Handycam HDR-XR200. I can't seem to get the data from the camera to your program. I use a USB connection from the camera to my computer. When I check the contents of the camera in my computer I can see a sheet full of clips but can't get them to load.

Can you please help?

• 1. Re: DIFFICULTY IN LOADING FROM A SONY HANDY CAM
          Barbara B. Level 7

Hi, Kebisu. PRE has its own forum and it's best to post video questions there. I'll move this for you.

• 2. Re: DIFFICULTY IN LOADING FROM A SONY HANDY CAM
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

After you've attached the camcorder to your computer via USB and you've set the camcorder to VTR, did you use Premiere Elements' Video Importer (under Add Media/From Flip or Camcorder) to view and select your video?

What operating system are you using and which version of the program do you have?

• 3. Re: DIFFICULTY IN LOADING FROM A SONY HANDY CAM
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum, and thanks to Barbara B, for moving the post here, to the Premiere Elements Forum.

I find that it's a great workflow, to Copy over the camera's card, or HDD, to the computer, with full folder structure, and then use the Video Importer for ingesting the AV files into the Project. With most AVCHD cameras, having that full folder structure is better, than just Copying over the AV files, usually in MTS format (with the H.264 CODEC), as there are metadata files in those folders, that are important during Import.

Try that method, and I think that you will get what you want and expect. Also, having the files (and folder structure) on your computer will allow you to use that card, or the camera's HDD, for more recording, without worrying about loosing what has been previously recorded.

Another tip, that might be helpful is to pick up a card reader, for that card's type, and use that to Copy the contents of the card to the computer, as most find those much faster than the USB to the camera. Good card readers are cheap, and will usually speed up the process greatly. Obviously, if one recorded to the camera's HDD, then the USB 2.0 cable is the only option.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: DIFFICULTY IN LOADING FROM A SONY HANDY CAM
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>having that full folder structure is better, than just Copying over the AV files

The reason for that is in http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1015001?tstart=0

And an example of setting up your video hard drive http://forums.adobe.com/thread/919388?tstart=0

• 5. Re: DIFFICULTY IN LOADING FROM A SONY HANDY CAM
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

As John points out, this is why it's important to use the Premiere Elements Video Importer.

• 6. Re: DIFFICULTY IN LOADING FROM A SONY HANDY CAM
                    Kebisu Level 1

Firstly, thank you all very much for your help.

These last few days I have been wrestling with Windows 8 because I bought a new computer after the old one continued to crash.

I have been unable to utilize your advice because mostly I just don't understand it.

The Camcorder gives me two options when I connect it to the computer, " USB Connect" with a drum symbol, which I take to mean the Hard drive (this is one I switch the Camcorder to)  and "USB Connect" with a rectangular symbol carrying a samll arrow on the left hand side. I don't see any "VTR" symbol.

Secondly, there are three ports at the front right hand side of the camcorder.  They are  HDMI, AV/R and the USB symbol. I have only been able to use the USB port. I have tried to buy the "AV/R" cable from Sony but haven't been successful. So I have only used the USB Port.

My computer tells me that there is only one file when I can see many others actually in the camera.

Incidently, this camcorder has two drives, on is the hard drive and the other is a removable card which I understand is for still pictures.

So, my problem is really how to get the videos out of the camcorder and into my camera.

I live in the Chicagoland area and if there is someplace that I could take this whole mess to have it figured out then I would be very grateful. Otherwise an expensive piece of kit will just sit in the bin, never being used.

Once again, thank you all and let me wish you a very Merry Christmas and all the best for the New Year.

Kebisu

• 7. Re: DIFFICULTY IN LOADING FROM A SONY HANDY CAM
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

It was a bit tough getting the full details on that camera, and the best source that I found was a review of it.

You could be correct, concerning the role of the memory card, and the internal HDD, but the info that I located, seemed to indicate that one could use either device for recording of Video and Stills. That might have been incorrect, and as my Canon Camcorder (miniDV tape) will record Video to the tape, but Stills to a memory card, I tend to agree with your observations. Your manual should be better, than the review specifications, that I found.

If that is correct, and you only record Video to the camera's HDD, then you will want to hook that up via USB cable, and Copy over everything on your camera's HDD, to the computer's HDD. Then, PrE should be able to Import the media files from the computer's HDD.

The other connections, such as the HDMI, are most probably only to feed the signal from the camera, to a TV, for viewing from the camera. Those connections, are probably ONLY for playback, from the camera, but the manual should cover what those other connections are for.

Good luck,

Hunt